#3 - Kitbasher Joins the RAF100GB Fury/Sea Fury Club

Started by kitbasher, August 05, 2018, 03:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Yes I know at my current build rate I've bitten off more than I can chew and I've loads of part builds I really must finish before starting something new, but I can't stop myself!

Modified PM Sea Fury on its way, chopping has begun.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

And here's the chopping to date:

• off comes the Centaurus.....
  • .....to be replaced by the Griffon off an AZ Martin-Baker M.B.5.  To be specific the nose off the spare M.B.5 fuselage in the 'M.B.6 Night Ferret' boxing.
  • Sea Fury kit prop and spinner to be used (I do have a Spitfire Griffon contra-prop to hand but the blades look too small, and in any case the Sabre Fury had what looks like a standard Tempest 4-blade prop)
  • wings readied for leading edge radiators
It'll be an RAF Fury rather than a Sea Fury so the rudder will need sorting. Everything else will be OOB as my remaining Sea Fury correction bits have been set aside for a long-planned Hawker P.1030.

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

If those resin intakes are whose I think they are, they need shortening to get them to fit.  Best to do it on the inboard side.

Other tips -
Thin the trailing edges as they are really thick.
One of the ailerons will need sorting out on the underside as the lines don't match top and bottom.
Most importantly, the cockpit rear bulkhead is way too far back.  Needs to be brought forward to line up with a vertical panel line outside.
Replace the wheels with those from a Heller Tempest, as the kit ones are vile.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Cheers Lee.  Yep, radiators need around 1/4 inch taking off (not measured yet), bulkhead tip not forgotten from a few tears ago, have fallen foul of the trailing edges before (but not this time).
Heller Tempest wheels are a bit of a problem though.  There's one in the stash but I don't want to break into it yet.  Will look for a no-cost alternative, otherwise it'll be a case of tampering with the kit wheels.

kitbasher

Doug K

I have a Sabre from a Tempest looking for a good home, I wonder if there is time for another!

kitbasher

Wings and nose halves assembled, interior more or less built.  Race against time!

kitbasher

Modelling hiatus courtesy of work, work trip abroad and Mum's 90th birthday celebrations (question: how come my eldest cousin look older than my Mum??).

Not much time left to the end f this GB and really must press on, even if I only get one finished by the deadline I must get the others done by Telford.  So, the Griffon Fury.  Have decided to use my Aeroclub Sea Fury bits after all and shell out on either a Trumpeter or Special Hobby Sea Fury when the time comes to build the P.1030.

kitbasher

Hmmm.  So either I imagined I had a spare set of Aeroclub Sea Fury wheels & u/c legs/doors or they've gone serious walkies.  Can't find them anywhere.  I assume I used them on the P.1032 safe in the knowledge I'd not be needing them for a Sea Fury whif.  Bummer.

Ah, well.

The Wooksta!

The PM one isn't that bad, provided you replace the VILE wheels with a set from a Heller Tempest.

Go with the Special Hobby rather than Trumpeter for the P.1030 - the wings are unfolded from the start.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic