Area 88 1/144: Rocky Arrival (DC-3)

Started by strobez, July 29, 2018, 08:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

So I know I told myself I wouldn't start any new projects until I cleared up the "shelf of doom", but after a month and a half off during my 'round the world odyssey, I couldn't resist jumping into a couple of new projects featuring some of the kits I snagged along the way.

The first one is perhaps stretching it a bit in terms of my Area 88 1/144 project series, but really any excuse to slip in a DC-3... amirite?

Anyway, the scene from the manga depicts Goh "Rocky" Mutsuki, a Japanese correspondent from the NP News Service arriving at the AREA 88 base for a one month photo report on the Asran military's use of mercenary pilots. His ride out to the far side of hell? A DC-3 transport.  Only featured in a handful of panels, but I always loved this scene.  You can almost feel Rocky stepping out onto the blazing hot tarmac for the first time.

Since I had to leave the box behind in Canada (for reasons of consolidation in making room in the luggage), I don't get to start off the thread with my usual shot of the box.  It came in one featuring the Minicraft logo in the top corner... I'm sure you've seen it.  The first order of business? Drill out and then trim out the window openings and the door.

Then a quick dry fit to make sure it looks like an airplane.  Since the rear door will be open, I'm planning to add in a bit of a floor and some bench seating along the side.  For some strange reason though, the angle and the narrowing of the fuselage is giving me trouble to get the floor to sit properly.  I blame the jet lag..,

Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Go for the gusto!!!!  No Chronic in the Sucrets tin?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

i like where this is going, i never thought of a DC-3 for the Area 88 collection  :thumbsup:
i will have to follow this build, i have a spare DC-3 in the stash that needs to ber put to use.

what color scheme are you going for, standard olive green or desert tan  ;)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

strobez

Well there's not much to go on... two wide shots and a bit of the door frame, all in B&W is it.  I was leaning towards doing a dark tan chipped paint job over a bare aluminum underside, but the olive green might also work. Hmmm...
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

You need the services of one of those experts in discerning colours from B&W images that populate other "serious" modelling forums...

FWIW my first thought, looking at the artwork was green.  But now you mention it, it could be dark tan...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

I think olive might have captured my imaginationfor this one.  After thinking about it a bit too, I've decided to alter my plan from "just landed" to "just about to land". Less work involved in flight than on the ground, and I want to try something just a bit fancy besides.
Thanks!

Greg

loupgarou

Quote from: strobez on July 30, 2018, 08:15:26 AM
I think olive might have captured my imaginationfor this one.  After thinking about it a bit too, I've decided to alter my plan from "just landed" to "just about to land". Less work involved in flight than on the ground, and I want to try something just a bit fancy besides.

If it will be still in flight, maybe the door had better stay closed... ;)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

strobez

Urm... yeah.  The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps I'd opened up the door in haste.  Oh well, luckily it's a relatively easy fix to replace.
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

Daks flew just fine with the doors totally missing, that's how they paradropped from them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 03:20:07 PM
Daks flew just fine with the doors totally missing...

As, I can assure you from personal experience do Islanders.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2018, 05:12:07 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 03:20:07 PM
Daks flew just fine with the doors totally missing...

As, I can assure you from personal experience do Islanders.

And Beverley's too............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

So, I do kinda regret cutting open the door, but oh, well.  That's what I get for switching gears after starting the project.

Regardless, the hole has been plugged adequately and the cabin has been blocked off to prevent a see/through effect - even though it should be partially see through I guess.

Just like on the DC-10 project, I painted the interior black to add depth and I glued a strip of film cut from an iPad screen protector in place to act as a backstop.  I'll add some clear glue from the front later for the actual windows, but this seemed to fix a lot of the concave issues in my test run.

Now that the interior is done, I buttoned up the fuselage.  I had a bit of trouble using the Tamiya extra thin quick setting cement.  It seems a bit hit and miss for me.  Sometimes works great, others (like this time) it just doesn't want to bind.  Took some careful application with regular Tamiya cement and some clamps to get the wings together.  Of course it will need some PSR work.  There's so much fine detail, I hope I don't lose it all in the process.

Thanks!

Greg

Scotaidh

Re your glue problems - any chance of paint on the gluing surfaces?  I have always had problems with that, even when I run a sanding stick on them first - doesn't always get all of it. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

strobez

I've had that problem too, but that's not the case this time. I never have anything other than human error issues with Tamiya's regular and thin cement... but the thin quick set one seems finicky.  Sometimes it works great, others... not at all.  I can't figure out why.
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

This is looking good  :thumbsup:

Quote from: strobez on August 03, 2018, 03:47:40 AM
but the thin quick set one seems finicky.  Sometimes it works great, others... not at all.  I can't figure out why.

Yes. I've just started a new bottle and it seems to be stronger ? Certainly seems to be melting the plastic far more than the previous bottle, having to be much more sparing with it.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.