DONE @p.3 +++ Supermarine Spitfire L.F. Mk. Xb, Operation Torch, late 1942

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 12, 2018, 02:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The next one in chronological order - #3: this one sounds simple: an early Spitfire with a radial engine (I favor a Taurus, because of its small diameter...) instead of the classic Merlin. Nothing spectacular, just an engine swap for the expected odd look, and with American roundels from the 1942 North Africa campaign. Basis will be a Revell Spitfire V, 1996 mold.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Yes, I am curious with what I can come up with. I've never seen this stunt being done - at least in a "classic" style. The "best" work I have seen was an Fw 190/SPF kitbash, which used the complete Fw 190 fuselage to which SPF winsg had been added. Did not look bad, but I want to stay closer to the original, like a real-life variant.

NARSES2

I've seen a radial Hurricane, OGL did one and it's on here somewhere. A radial Spitfire doesn't ring any bells however, but given the way many different "just in case" engine trials were conducted in 1940 you never know if it wasn't at least thought about ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Knightflyer

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 14, 2018, 11:32:48 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 14, 2018, 10:14:52 AM
Already painting this one...  :rolleyes:

No-one's surprised, Dizz. ;D

Infact, isn't he slowing down a bit, if he's only just painting it! I'd have expected him to be on the NEXT model after this by now ;)
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Dizzyfugu

Well, I am taking my time. Just did some beauty pics from the Furore this morning, while the Spitfire's paint is drying for an ink wash treatment. I originally wanted to paint the aircraft in classic Dark Green/Ocean Grey, just with yellow-rimmed American roundels, but then I decided to go for clipped wings (since the Taurus, which powers my variant, was only good at low altitudes), and then I decided to switch to the RAF Desert Scheme, but still with US roundels. Makes more sense for an Operation Torch participant.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Knightflyer

Looking forward as always to another one of your creations  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Dizzyfugu

Painting made slow progress yesterday, due to the general local heatwave. Did a wasing and post-shading, now I am closing in on the decals, which will be improvised. The rhinoplasty yielded an ...interesting result. I am curious what others think when I finally get to post some pics (the Furore is through). I guess I will make a combined WiP/beauty post, once this one has been completed.

Dizzyfugu

Model got finished this morning, but it might take a couple of days until pictures materialize.