Done @p.2 +++ 1:72 Hawker Furore Mk. II of RAF 43 Sq., Henlow, late 1938

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 05, 2018, 11:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

First down, next to go! I will try to work through my ideas for the GB chronologically, and #2 will "take place" in the Munich Crisis era, 1938. Technically, it will be a cousin of the Hawker Fury biplane, using the venerable Matchbox kit. I'd describe it as a "Heyfordized" variant, a missing link between the conservatiive biplane and the Hurricane.  ;)

Let's see what becomes of this conceptual idea?  :rolleyes:

Tophe

Will it have an enclosed canopy or an old-style open cockpit? :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Not decided yet, but most probably open - maybe with an extended headrest spine and a higher windscreen, though.

Dizzyfugu

Visual updates from the bench - work started yesterday and made good progress. Things started with some cuts on the wings and transplants (the mid section from the upper wing was glued between the tow lower wings):

1:72 Hawker Furore Mk. II of the RAF 43 Squadron; Hendon, late 1938 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The gap in the floor, where the lower wings are actuall connected, was used as a plug. Pls. note the mass of putty everywehere - I have NO idea what Revell did to the crisp Matchbox molds, but the kit's quality under the Revell label is underwhelming, with lots of flash and even some sinkholes!

1:72 Hawker Furore Mk. II of the RAF 43 Squadron; Hendon, late 1938 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As mentioned earlier, I decided to add a spine, for a different look - and it is funny how much the Fury's profile suddenly resembles the later Hurricane's! It's a leftover rear end from an Airfix P-61 drop tank (buried under putty, though):

In order to modernize the aircraft it also receives a new three blade propeller - it comes, including the spinner, from an Airfix Whirlwind:

One of the final steps from the 1st day was the mounting of the upper pair of wings:

...and today started with work on the lower wings - with new, spatted wheels (resin parts for an Avia 534) and an additional pair of machine guns (from a Gloster Gladiator). In order to blend the new arrangement into the wings, the spats were elongated with 2C putty, and are now about to be fine-tuned.

Soon the fiddly struts work can start - somehow I have to mount the lower wing under the fuselage...  :o

PR19_Kit

Ahah, NOW I see what you mean about it being 'Heyfordised'.

I LOVE that idea, very 30s.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Very interesting  :thumbsup:

Regarding the cockpit ? I think it's likely that she would have been built with a closed one, but that many a pilot would have discarded it or at least fixed it open ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Sunday afternoon's progress - things started with attempts to dry-fit the lower wings, finding a good position. I dedided to use the OOB wheel struts, since these would allow the peoper height of the fuselage abobe the lower wings and the relatuve position of the wheels' axis:

1:72 Hawker Furore Mk. II of the RAF 43 Squadron; Hendon, late 1938 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Hawker Furore Mk. II of the RAF 43 Squadron; Hendon, late 1938 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Then these initial struts were glued into place, and another, improvised pair was added behind the radiator. Once this was more or less dry and stable, I created outer wing struts from the OOB parts (slightly shortened and without the original "N" shape), and this is what the Furore looks now:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

It's SO ugly now - the Heyford effect, I think, because the overall lines are quite elegant. But the fat spats and the low lower wings really mess up proportions! However, the plan seems to work, and I settled upon an open cockpit, even though with a taller windscreen for better pilot protection.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

loupgarou

A very original-looking plane!
As managing to glue struts so that wings are parallel is a trick of magic for me, the idea of "strutting" a scratch aircraft is way over my head. :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Hotte

Snowtrooper

One can only wonder why the arrangement did not gain a larger traction. The attitude of the aircraft when resting on three whees does not change much (or at all as in this case), but now the visibility to the front and above is much better. Yes, it's at the cost of reduced visibility downwards, but this is a fighter after all that's supposed to be pulling G's in a furball instead of strafing footsloggers and therefore the pilot is looking mostly up, not down.

Though, the lower wing sits now low enough that it might actually create a sort of ground effect when landing/taking off (distance from ground is smaller than the wing chord). Will probably help it to get airborne on heavier loads/in thinner or hotter air, but will cause it to "float" when trying to land (then again, "floating" might be just the thing to signal the pilot that touchdown is imminent, which would be helpful considering that he has less visibility to the ground; also might help to cancel an accidentally too high sinkrate caused by the same).

And she's definitely a beauty compared to, say, French interwar bombers. :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

I think that the for- and downward visibility is a serious issue for landing, and I'd place a bet on ground effect lift, too - I'd assume that landing such an aircraft is literally not easy.

Painting has started - classic Dark Green/Dark Earth livery with black and white wing undersides.

NARSES2

I can't help thinking it's something Handley Page would have come up with ? It's very much of its time  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.