Paint question, High Speed Silver

Started by JayBee, July 01, 2018, 04:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

What is the best model paint to represent the "High Speed Silver" paint used in post WW2 RAF aircraft?

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

I always used good old Humbrol No 11 because provided you stir/shake the pot enough it brushes well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I never had any luck with Humbrol silver.  I could never get it to brush out decently and it never seemed to dry properly.
On the other hand my Father had the knack and used it to brush paint beautifully an Airfix EE Lightning and a Freedom Fighter for me when I was a nipper.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

I hate hand brushing silver, especially for larger models. I have better luck with a cheap can of silver spray paint.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitbasher

Quote from: JayBee on July 01, 2018, 04:36:28 AM
What is the best model paint to represent the "High Speed Silver" paint used in post WW2 RAF aircraft?

Xtracolor High Speed Silver.  Goes on nicely with a brush.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

I have a VERY vintage tin of Woolworths Houshold Silver that I've always used for the HSS scheme.

It's sort of semi-gloss, and goes on with a brush superbly, but I reckon the chance of finding an un-used tin these days is just about zero.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

andrewj

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 01, 2018, 01:08:56 PM
Halfords Gloss Aluminium

Second that , but use Games Workshop purity seal to kill some of the shine

TsrJoe

Halfords standard range Aluminium gives a smooth fine grained even finish ideal for painted silver :)
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)