British++ Lightnings and Mustangs

Started by Tophe, June 30, 2018, 02:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I know that the RAF did use Lightnings Mk.1 and Mustangs Mk.1 (etc.) but I consider drawing "more British" versions, as copies (more or less) of the famous Spitfire... elliptical wing, modified tail and so on. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

(It is now July 1st, 6 am on my side of the planet, the RAF time has come...)
Here are the Supermarine Spitning Mk.1 and 2, VERY long range fighters, ordered in 10,000 copies by the RAF 1942 (before cancellation)...

Tophe

The short range derivatives Supermarine Spitning Mk.3/4/5 were interesting too, but without major advantage over the Whirlwind.

Tophe

The P-51C, even with Merlin engine and Malcolm Hood, was still "not British enough", argue the RAF generals, so the Spitstang was developped:

Tophe

After hard discussions between engineers and generals, North American admitted that, while the Mustang wing is the best, the Mustang tail may not be "how a tail must be"... so 2 British versions used Spitfire tails:

Tophe

The RAF top general said: "OK for your Lightning heart and powerful nose, but for the rest: use Spitfires!".
This was built, then engineers said: linking the tails made it more solid.
This was built, then engineers said : decreasing the tailplanes size would give more speed.
This was built. Was it ? ;D

Tophe

The English Mustang, the best one (Mk XIII?), used a Spitfire bubble canopy and wing radiators:

Snowtrooper

You're definitely onto something. Considering the Mustang also began life with Allison power egg, one can only wonder if the Lightning could have been equipped with the same even in real life? Simple mechanical supercharger instead of the complex and expensive turbocharger, maybe that would have made Lightning more viable economically and operationally (to be manufactured in greater numbers, adopted earlier, staying in service later, supplied to other Allies)?

Tophe

Quote from: Snowtrooper on July 08, 2018, 03:06:33 PM
one can only wonder if the Lightning could have been equipped with the same even in real life? Simple mechanical supercharger instead of the complex and expensive turbocharger,
But... without the huge chargers on engines, no more need of booms, or... something like a drawing I made years ago: ;D

Tophe

And the top general of the RAF said: "We have not ordered the Twin-Spitfire because, as long as twin-engine fighters are concerned, we prefer the Mosquito", so Lockheed proposed the Lightito Mk.1, 2, 3, but without success either.

Tophe

Another Lockheed proposal for the RAF: Whirlning Mk.1, 2, 3. No success either...

Tophe

In 1945, the RAF top general argued: "we have already twin-boomers, so Lockheed must use De Havilland Vampire's double tails!". This was designed but not ordered (too much expensive):

Tophe

The US ambassador proposed a fair deal: the US Navy will buy British ships only and the RAF will buy American planes only: Horsning, Lancasning, Metning (replacing Horsa, Lancaster, Meteor), all right? The answer has been no, alas (for twin boom glory to reach eternity). :-\

Tophe

for this Mustang's design, I see no technical (nor operational) justification, this seems a commemorative airplane...

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit