Supermarine Shrike Mk.I

Started by nighthunter, June 29, 2018, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

In 1930, Glenn Curtiss sold the designs of his Hawk series of aircraft to approved Dept. of War countries, such as China, the UK and it's Commonwealth's, Finland, and Central and South American countries, to avoid bankruptcy, after loosing the persuit contract to Will Boeing.

Supermarine expressed interest in the XP-6 series of Hawks, which were still on the drawing board. Curtiss sold them the design, and wished his Anglo counterparts the best of luck.

Supermarine's machinists brought the Hawk alive by 1932. But since the name Supermarine Hawk, didn't ring, and because it was smaller than it's Hawker counterparts, they decided on the name Shrike.
Equipped with the Rolls-Royce Kestrel V engine, and armed with 2 Browning .303 Cal machine guns. It was a nimble little fighter, constantly performing "Shrike Strikes" on Hawker Harts and Furys, much to those pilots' chargin.

During the Spanish Civil Wat, 4 Shrikes somehow made it into the Republican Air Force. These Shrikes were equipped with 7mm machine guns and Hispanio engines. Flown by International Brigade pilots, they accounted for 9 Fiat CR.32 kills, and 5 Henkel He-51s. The explanation for this was the superior skills of these particular pilots and how well they knew the aircraft and it's limitations, on top of it being far more nimble though slower than it's adversaries.

The Shrikes served with Fighter Command til 1937, when they were replaced by Hawker Hurricanes.

The kit is the old Monogram Curtiss P-6E Hawk in 1/72, it'll mostly be built OOB. The only thing im really adding is the cockpit seat, a passenger seat from a Boeing 247.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

nighthunter

Pictures to follow shortly, got to work on it for about an hour and a half, as the wife wanted to bed early as she is pregnant, and exhausted, but the best 3D printer ever. :P

Doug K

Sounds great and congratulations, by the way...
However I do hope you haven't tried that joke on her.....

nighthunter

Quote from: Doug K on July 01, 2018, 10:37:49 AM
Funny enough, she came up with that joke first.

NARSES2

Quote from: nighthunter on July 01, 2018, 07:39:03 PM
Quote from: Doug K on July 01, 2018, 10:37:49 AM
Funny enough, she came up with that joke first.

;D ;D ;D Congratulations
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Thank you all for the congratulations, our daughter is #2 and for about a month and a half we will have two under 2, lol!
No real work has progressed, as I am now working early mornings, and don't get to have time to myself as I am caring for our son, while the wife tries to relax. And due to this early work schedule, my son and I share a bedtime. Such is the life of a working parent. If only I could find the time, I'd be on par with Thomas at getting kits knocked out quickly, lol!

That 1-2 hours I had, I managed to repaint the interior with Testors Model Master Dark Green, and get the seat painted in Testors Model Master Leather as well as gluing a small brick of styrene to the base of the seat to give it added height, as well as glue the spats on the struts. I attempted to paint the aircraft in aluminum, but the YELLOW kit color prevented it from covering, so I will have to base coat it with a gray first, *sighs*. Hopefully the wife will let me work on it after work is done for the day... most likely not. I will be off on Independence Day, or as you all know it "Treason Day" :P, so maybe I'll get some work done then as I have a tendency to hunker down and not partake in celebrations, as I am not fond of crowds or explosions, anymore. (Not a combat veteran, but not for a lack of trying).

*Edit* Sorry about the large picture, initially.

Old Wombat

Ye gods! It certainly is yellow! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 02, 2018, 06:34:03 AM

Nah......I reckon it's your monitor   :angel: :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2018, 12:24:32 AM

Not really, LOL! It is that YELLOW. :banghead: I'll definitely have to paint a gray basecoat on it for the aluminum to "stick".

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2018, 12:24:32 AM

Like the Italeri/Tamiya Pink Panther Landy isn't really pink, yah? ;) :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Basecoating is progressing, got some work done on it Wednesday evening and yesterday afternoon.

nighthunter

More work completed, basecoat finished, and aluminum paint now applied, now for further assembly. Pictures coming tomorrow.

TheChronicOne

Hell yeah.... that's what I'm looking forward to! 
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

Here are the progress pictures to current:

nighthunter

Work continues at a snail's pace, partly due to parenting and partly due to being busy.