Need help... again!

Started by strobez, June 10, 2018, 03:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Hi guys.  I was planning to start a new project based on a Tank vs. Jeep argument as depicted in the Area 88 manga.  The only problem is I haven't got the foggiest idea which tank this is:

I know it's not much to go on, but I've seen some of you smarties identify a bit of armour from the curve of the hatch handle, so I thought I'd take my chances that someone can help me out.

If you want to read the whole chapter (and see a few more pics) you can do so here: https://www1.mangamew.com/read-manga/area-88/chap-9-365920/
Thanks!

Greg

scooter

T-55 would be the closest to it, considering the Rebels are quite fond of their fUSSR/WARPAC equipment.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Steel Penguin

possibly a t54/55 or t62
id need some better views to positively ID, and I don't think this is one of the episodes of the manga I have 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: scooter on June 10, 2018, 04:23:34 AM
T-55 would be the closest to it, considering the Rebels are quite fond of their fUSSR/WARPAC equipment.

T-54/55 would be my bet, too. The turtle turret is very charactersitic, as well as the glacis plate.

Old Wombat

Looks like a T-54 or T-55(A?) variant.

T-54;

T-55;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

The fact that the feature to the left of the gun is round rather than oval, and that the rail on the side of the turret is curved rather than straight, leads me to suspect the artist was looking at a T-62 rather than a T-54/55:

Having said that, comic artists are perfectly capable of mixing up features from several different sources of inspiration.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Vorcha

Quote from: Weaver on June 10, 2018, 11:51:02 AM
The fact that the feature to the left of the gun is round rather than oval, and that the rail on the side of the turret is curved rather than straight, leads me to suspect the artist was looking at a T-62 rather than a T-54/55:

Having said that, comic artists are perfectly capable of mixing up features from several different sources of inspiration.

I'd also put my stock on a T-62, the one with the first turret version. I'm currently building one and this looks pretty close. The round thing on the right of the gun is the gunner's sight. It's round on the T-62, but only 1/4th the size. The smaller light, an IR-searchlight I think, on the left of the gun isn't as close to the coaxial machinegun in the real thing. Also the little knob on the turret right over the gun is a feature of T-62's.

...one problem however would be the picture depicting a rifled gun... either the artist didn't know that the T-62 has a smoothbore gun, or he didn't care, or he thought too little people knew of this feature and -correctly- not adding rifling would be seen as a lack of precision by the readers, so he added it anyway - or the cartoon in fact depicts a T-54/55 type of tank (which uses a rifled gun), but the artist got a wrong picture - or he deliberately mixed up these features to knowingly create a what-if in his comic  <_<
paper boy

PR19_Kit

In 1/72 scale would anyone notice the rifling, or lack thereof?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vorcha

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 14, 2018, 09:21:09 AM

I guess I would  ;) ;D <_<
paper boy

sandiego89

Quote from: Vorcha on June 14, 2018, 09:34:41 AM

Of course us rivet counters would!!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 14, 2018, 11:00:39 AM

Wouldn't rivets rather impede the progress of the shell up the barrel?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 14, 2018, 11:15:09 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on June 14, 2018, 11:00:39 AM

Wouldn't rivets rather impede the progress of the shell up the barrel?  ;)

This, ladies, gentlemen and amorphous entities, is a perfect example of the peculiarly English art of understatement!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Rivets might stop the first round fired but sending another one after it would soon clear it out...

:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Not if the rivets run in the grooves, like the flanges on a Sawyer
pattern shell.
:wacko:

strobez

Urm... so yes we all agree it's basically a T-62 with a bit of artistic license? ;)
Thanks!

Greg