Toyota Crown - Finished pics page 2

Started by zenrat, June 09, 2018, 05:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I'm gonna try to knock one of these off in a week.

Two tone paint job, satin clear and change the wheels.  Maybe lose the excessive camber on the wheels as i'm not keen on that look.
It's a kerbside so no engine to worry about.  Body is the critical path.  I reckon I should be able to do it if I don't mess up a step.

I'm not totally convinced that painting a car a different colour to the box top and putting different wheels on it constitutes a whiff but I think i'm going to do it anyway and if anyone objects i'll just ask Chris to move it.

I won't get anything done Monday due to Expo but i'm working afternoons next week so i'll be able to do something each morning.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

This is awesome.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Not a fan of the Shakotan look, eh?  ;D  I dig it, personally. It's hard to describe. It's absurd but somehow cool at the same time....   and sort of reminds me of back in the mid-late 80's and very early 90's when all the lowerider culture in America were tiny imports with tiny wheels that stuck way too far out... it somehow morphed into the opposite and now the people that where heavily into those now all want gigantic SUVs with 49 inch rims or Caprices and other donks.

;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

It's a 'Whiff in a box' anyway, isn't it?

A car with wheels THAT large and dropped THAT far couldn't actually go anywhere as the top of the tyres would jam under the wheel arches.

There's a crazy youth around here done a similar job on a modern VW Polo, and he thinks it's so cool, but its handling is wrecked as he has no wheel movement possible at all, madness.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

I don't mind the look.  It's just the "wheels are falling off" thing that irritates the engineer in me.
A tyre has a low enough contact patch without reducing it by setting the wheel at an angle.

Anyway.  I've started.
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 04 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 05 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

So far so good.
:mellow:
Body is moulded in a rather pleasing very dark green with sparkles.  I thought "ooh good I can polish that and then shoot some pearl clear over it".  But there are swirls from the moulding process so, squirty squirty...
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 06 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Chassis is from the japanese "it's a toy really, don't tax it" old school with fittings for a motor and battery box and crude detail.
Which is good as it gives me an excuse not to bother painting it.  That being so i've nearly got the suspension together.
New wheels are an Aoshima aftermarket set and so fit straight into place with no messing about changing fittings.  Which is nice.
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And so onto the interior.  Not bad, but the seats have no backs which bugs me so I glued some styrene sheet to them and then primed the rest of the parts.
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

AS.12

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2018, 01:27:28 PM
There's a crazy youth around here done a similar job on a modern VW Polo, and he thinks it's so cool, but its handling is wrecked as he has no wheel movement possible at all, madness.

A friend-of-a-friend has lowered his car so much that he can't traverse speed bumps.  Mockery ensues as he has to plan his routes to avoid any streets with bumps!

I'd love to see that Crown 'restored' to normal showroom configuration. A sort-of de-WHIF.

zenrat

Quote from: AS.12 on June 09, 2018, 10:51:47 PM
...I'd love to see that Crown 'restored' to normal showroom configuration. A sort-of de-WHIF.

Easilly done if you had the wheels as all the stock parts other then them are provided.
Fred

zenrat

...and it's all gone purple...
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
That doesn't look too bad (believe me, the pic makes it look better than it actually is, but its not terrible) considering the temperature out in the shed and the age of the paint (car touch up rattle cans i've had at least ten years).
The other colour on the other hand didn't work so well.  Three of the parts should be OK but I got a bit carried away on the fourth and this happened.
Toyota Crown WIP 10-06-18 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I'll sand it down when it's hardened and try again.  This time heating the can.
Fred

NARSES2

Do you know my great nephew ?  ;D Mind you whilst "Up North" I went down with my brother to pick him up from some raceway in Middlesborough and he seemed to be having a great time tearing around the track in it, he only drives it on tracks. I just enjoyed chatting to the female "hangars on" and pretending I knew what they were talking about  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

It's a 'Whiff in a box' anyway, isn't it?

A car with wheels THAT large and dropped THAT far couldn't actually go anywhere as the top of the tyres would jam under the wheel arches.

Sometimes they install air suspension with adjustable ride height to get that effect when it's standing still, while keeping the car drivable.

tigercat

coming together nicely

zenrat

Cleared the body today, sanded down the dodgy paint and redid it in green, trimmed and primed the seats, primed the steering wheel and painted the brake rotors silver.
I'm hoping to get the decals onto the body tonight which will put me slightly ahead of the game.
Fred

zenrat

Decals on.  Only three and they are very subtle* - which makes a change for a zenrat industries car build.

<edit>
*It has just struck me that my definition of "very subtle" may be slightly different to what others may understand it to be.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 12, 2018, 03:07:41 AM

<edit>
*It has just struck me that my definition of "very subtle" may be slightly different to what others may understand it to be.

I'd only be surprised if it wasn't  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Could this be any more subtle?  I can't see how.
Toyota Crown WIP 13-06-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Other than those coats of clear (still wet in the photo) I painted the brake calipers, green parts, first coat on the interior and the red and orange parts of the light lenses.
Interior might prove to be the critical path now as the paint coverage wasn't as good as it could have been.
Fred