Shapeways 3D printed kits

Started by TomZ, June 06, 2018, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

There is a guy on shapeways who produces kits in 3D printing. You bu the parts on spruces just like an injected kit.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/riverman?li=pb

Pretty pricey though. I was interested in the 1/144 AJ Savage. In normal plastic it's already 60 euros. If you want if you want extra detailed you go up to 110!
Pity about the price because it looks like a neat idea but this is over my budget range.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

IMO the future of this hobby is that we all have our own 3D printers and download the data files from talented individuals like this so we can print our own kits.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 06, 2018, 02:24:56 AM
IMO the future of this hobby is that we all have our own 3D printers and download the data files from talented individuals like this so we can print our own kits.

You may well be right. I was talking 3D printing with my older nephew over the weekend (he lectures in various IT/Graphic design thingies at Sunderland "Uni") and commented on how me and one Nick spent a happy half hour in the London Science Museum's children's gallery playing with one of the early ones. Was it only 10/15 years ago ? Whatever it was very basic, but you look at them now and then think what they will be doing in another 10 years or so.

However I agree that this is a tad pricey.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

I've got a question, over the last few days I've been trying to get onto shapeways website. The link gets me there but all I get is a big blank white page once it opens --- any clues to what's going on ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Works for me, maybe a 'reload and empty cache' (Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R) is in order?

kitnut617

Yeah, I've been doing that Harro --

Mossie

I don't really see the point of having the sprue except for familiarity and  keeping the parts together?  I'd rather have it separate so you don't have to sand off sprue gate remains.

The price is what puts me off 3D printed stuff, 60 euros is nearly pounds at the current  exchange, rate for a 1/144 kit!  Hopefully they'll come down significantly in the next few years.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

So I've found out Shapeways doesn't work in Internet Explorer 11

Hobbes

Quote from: Mossie on July 17, 2019, 02:08:51 PM
I don't really see the point of having the sprue except for familiarity and  keeping the parts together?  I'd rather have it separate so you don't have to sand off sprue gate remains.

The price is what puts me off 3D printed stuff, 60 euros is nearly pounds at the current  exchange, rate for a 1/144 kit!  Hopefully they'll come down significantly in the next few years.

It's done to keep the parts together. Companies like Shapeways print dozens to hundreds of models in one printing session. That'd be a nightmare to sort out without sprues.

elmayerle

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 17, 2019, 04:10:48 PM
So I've found out Shapeways doesn't work in Internet Explorer 11
Yeah!!  Wonder when they starting shilling for Chrome, Firefox, et al.?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Joe C-P

I'm going to revive this thread to post those producers I've found list a line of what if subjects.  No judgements, no ratings, no particular order, just a way to help you find them.

Algorithmic Designs - aircraft
Tiny Thingamajigs- ships
Alternate Visions - air and spacecraft
Mini and Beyond - ships
Amatuer Wargame Figures - ships
OKB-985 Design Burea - aircraft

Please add to the list!

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Hobbes

my Shapeways shop, for what-if and realspace items:

Acme Engineering

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on February 10, 2020, 11:16:50 AM

my Shapeways shop, for what-if and realspace items:

Acme Engineering

That looks some SERIOUSLY good stuff you've designed there Harro!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Harro, some questions about your FASS radomes. The ones you have developed are generic ones, is that correct ?  Could they be modified so they're suitable to wrap around a 12 foot wide by 8 foot high scanner dish ?  And then done in 1/72 scale ?  I'd imagine the dish end of the radome would be around 14 foot by 10 foot.

Captain Canada

Cool....but wow, pricey !

And your stuff looks great Harro ! I'll be ordering those FASS radomes soon !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?