Nato Reporting Name "Fireside" thread revival and beauty pics

Started by 63cpe, May 27, 2018, 03:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Took me soo long, I didn't remember how this project started. :banghead:
Anyway found it...thanks search function... :thumbsup:

Let's start with a short history:

This is the MiG-15 OPLR "Fireside".
This MiG -15 variant "Ohkotik Podderska letayushchiy Radio" or OPLR was seen by NATO observers in company with other MiG-15 and later -17's and was mistaken for a fighter, hence the callsign starting with F.
It was actually conceived as a "hunter" airborne radarstation over the vast Russian skies co-working with "killer" team MiG-15 and later Mig-17's like a wolfpack. So it wasn't a fighter in true essence. Although tried for some time with continuous improvement of the airborne radar, it had limited radar capabilities and was too slow for contemporary fighters. So, the concept was abandoned.

Maiden flight: December 1953
Livery: PVO-Strany, Magadan-13 (Magadan area), October 1955

IMG_4878 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4876 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4863 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4865 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4868 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4869 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_4870 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157696711123204/with/27496167787/

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :lol: :thumbsup:

Reminds me of a Lavochkin prototype I did some time agon on the basis of an F-84.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Glenn Gilbertson

63cpe