Any Starfighter experts here?

Started by The Rat, April 28, 2018, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Looking at 104s in natural metal finish, and rarely are the wings left bare, they're usually painted, and often white. Any particular reason for that? TIA
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

According to this thread, all the USAF ones with white upper wings had grey (FS16473) on the underside of them:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234923310-f-104-reference-thread/&

No explanation why though.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's an explanation that's been offered to the same question:

QuoteI've been told by a reliable source (actually, a former professional ramp rat) that the large quantities of hot bleed air, used to lower landing speeds, tended to erode the bare aluminum surface of the wings. The gloss white was actually a special hard epoxy finish used to protect the underlaying airframe. BTW, the bottoms were painted the same light gray as the radome. Later painted schemes apparemtly did not require these extreme measures.
Or so I've been told.

Phil

From here: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/p/23751/233964.aspx
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

I'm seeing other proffered reasons in other discussions, but nothing that I'd say sounded authoritative and/or 100% credible:

Nuclear flash protection (on aircraft tasked as interceptors with no nukes of their own, and only on the wings?)

Smooth finish for aerodynamic reasons (sounds credible since it seemed common on the tails and fins of NMF 104s too)

Maintenance reasons: it made hydraulic leaks show up better (why not on other aircraft then?)

Protection because the wing was used as a walkway by pilots in the absence of a ladder (why quick-dirtying white though? You'd think grey or black would be better if that was the reason. Also, why paint the undersides and the tails/fin?)

Reflecting the sun's heat to keep the wings cooler: allegedly there were temperature sensors in the wings that fed info to a throttle-limiting system designed to prevent the airframe getting damaged by aerodynamic heating at very high speeds, and these could give a false reading if solar heat was added to the mix.

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Thanks guys! I got an answer over on Hyperscale about it being to help preserve the laminar flow. Sounds reasonable, with wings that small you need all the lift insurance you can get.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Makes sense: with such a small wing area, every small ripple would have a proportionally greater effect than on a larger wing.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

My first instinct was "protect the laminar flow" as per the Mustang. Glad it was on the ball for once  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Maybe because it just looked 'cool'?  ;D

If you could look 'cool' back then of course, you may have looked 'hip', or 'groovy' even.....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: The Rat on April 28, 2018, 11:17:26 PMThanks guys! I got an answer over on Hyperscale about it being to help preserve the laminar flow.
I got more about it not eroding the skin...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.