"Fatherland" Lufthansa Junkers Ju-707, March 1963

Started by nönöbär, March 25, 2018, 07:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Lufthansa Junkers Ju-707, 1963

The Plane:

Based on the book "Fatherland", which plays in the 1960s of a hypothetical world where Germany won WW2.

In late 1950s, the RLM (Reichsluftfahrt Ministerium) approached various aircraft manufacturers like Junkers, Dornier, Heinkal and Focke-Wulf to degins a long-range, intercontinental jet passenger aircraft.
Only Junkers and Focke-Wulf offered some design, and in the end it was decided that the Junkers projects should be build while the Focke-Wulf deigns was later used to create a long-range maritime recon aircraft.

The first prototype of the Junkers Ju-707 made its maiden flight on September 16, 1959. Equipped with eight Jumo-008 A-3 engines, the aircraft had a range of 8000km with a speed of 900 kph, carrying 156 passengers.
When introduced at the Lufthansa in 1961, it opened a new era of intercontinental travel reducing the flight time by half in the transatlantic routes to North and South America. While the Lufthansa was the main customer with over 50 plans of this type, the Ju-707 soon got the work-horse for most of German allied in the mid 1960s. During the US-German peace talks of 1962, 25 of those planes were sold to Pan American which later opened the US marked for other Junkers passenger planes afterwards.

The Ju-707 was in active passenger service until the mid 1980s, several planes were used as military transports for the Luftwaffe or were converted into air-to-air tankers and early warning platforms where they are still used today.

The Model shows a Lufthansa Ju-707 in March of 1963.

All of the Fatherland-Alternate History Jetliners

The Model:

The model was build using an 1/144 scale Airfix Boeing 707 model as the base. Equipped with engines of a 1/144 scale Academy B-52, the Boeing model was build OOB. Airbrushed with Revell Aqua Colour, decals were taken form the spare part box or custom made.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Nicely done, and it makes a good pair with the 880.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Beautiful work. Makes me think of the main character's flights across the country during the course of the novel, which - for me, at least - were scored by the Moonlight Sonata.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

loupgarou

Verrry good! But most people would think it's just a normal Lufthansa 707.   :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

Fantastic!  Great idea and execution. 

Thought I spotted those B-52H turbofans! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

nighthunter

Looks like something that Oburgruppenführer John Smith would take to Berlin...
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Army of One

Fantastic....!!! Great n what appears to be a simple conversion/build....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!