1/35 T-62 mod

Started by Vorcha, March 22, 2018, 10:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vorcha

I've started a new build after I had totally lost my mojo for a long time. Real life is just a pain in the a** sometimes (almost always). But in the end the passion for modeling always comes back.

The base for the build is Trumpeters 1/35th scale "T-62 MOD 1960"... which is a what-if in itself i guess  ;D

It will have a proprietary 107.2mm gun which I made of paper and cardboard using Microsoft Paint for drawing the plans and parts for it. The gun is modeled after the british L7 105mm gun. The version I finally made is the second, thinner and shorter one...

As for the backstory, the plan for the gun kind of gives it away, it is set in a distant future inside the world of "A song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin (adopted for television by HBO as "Game of Thrones"). The name of the tank M-958 corresponds with the year of it's coming into service (958 AC in the Westeros timeline) - just as the T-62 came to service in 1962 of our time. I'll post the full story as soon as the build is finished.

As for the making of the gun, I used greaseproof paper (Butterbrotpapier in german) for the barrel and thin cardboard for the breach. First I rolled two barrel parts - one for the case, one for the way the shell travels, as these have holes of different diameter. Then I rolled on subsequent layers of greaseproof paper on the parts, jojning them when they got thicker. After putting on more layers, making the barrel just a little thicker than intended, I carefully filed away the excess, until it had the desired thickness on all places. Following that I put on three subsequent layers of glue from a common glue stick for paper and quickly smoothed each layer with my fingers. Finally I filed away exess dried glue and after that smoothed it further just using my bare fingers (as the glue is water-soluable the sweat from my fingers is enough to make it soft just a little), until I got maximum smoothness. I guess it could be better than what I achieved, but I am content at this point. I got my own (kind of) realistic proprietary caliber gun - hollow and with breech - without paying for aftermarket parts (of course no one on the aftermarket would have a 107.2mm gun barrel so that's unique of course  ;D :rolleyes:).

I really hope I can finish this one at last, as I'm having a lot of fun with it right now.
Cheers!  <_<
paper boy

NARSES2

Glad the mojo has returned and I hope life in general takes a turn for the better  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vorcha

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 23, 2018, 07:06:40 AM
Glad the mojo has returned and I hope life in general takes a turn for the better  :thumbsup:

thanks  <_<
paper boy

chrisonord

This is looking very interesting Vorcha, I shall be watching this. Incidentally, I too have a build about to be started that uses the L7 105 MM gun. But it is going on a French wheeled vehicle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Vorcha

Quote from: chrisonord on March 25, 2018, 03:34:44 AM
This is looking very interesting Vorcha, I shall be watching this. Incidentally, I too have a build about to be started that uses the L7 105 MM gun. But it is going on a French wheeled vehicle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chris

awesome  <_< thanks
paper boy

Vorcha

Now I have a tilting gun  <_< still unbalanced, though.

paper boy

Vorcha

some small progress. moved the gunner sight from the front of the turret to the roof, like in more modern tanks. also made paper mache inner turret form on wich all the sights will be mounted, so that you can take off the turret cap and see inside while still having an idea of the turret roof dimensions... just like in a cutaway painting : )

paper boy

Vorcha

Had a day off so here's some progress  <_<
I added the hatches on the turret, made them openable by using a pin vice and pieces of gardening wire. Also the commanders cuppola can be turned 360°.

I painted the contact surfaces of the cuppola and the turret with a pencil as a form of lubrication, as it was too difficult to turn it without it.
paper boy

PR19_Kit

VERY clever, both the rotation of the cupola and the posting of the video.  :thumbsup:

How DID you manage to post the vid though? That's the first time I've ever seen that done on here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vorcha

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2018, 02:55:04 PM
VERY clever, both the rotation of the cupola and the posting of the video.  :thumbsup:

How DID you manage to post the vid though? That's the first time I've ever seen that done on here.

I let the internet do it for me! There is a plethora of online services that turn your video into the GIF format - in which I posted it here. You can see the watermark of the service I used in the lower left corner of the GIF-picture, "imgflip.com".

I then posted the GIF on imgur.com and posted it from there with the provided hyperlink for forums.  <_<

thank you!  <_< <_<

PS: it's free :)
paper boy

PR19_Kit

That's something I never knew before.

Well done, and thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Good stuff!

I like your inner turret idea.  Although I suspect it will be very fragile.  Still, its not a toy is it.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Yup  :thumbsup: I'm old enough to remember that's how you dialed a telephone number  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 20, 2018, 06:42:22 AM

Yup  :thumbsup: I'm old enough to remember that's how you dialed a telephone number  :angel:

It wasn't that long ago, surely, because I remember that well into adulthood ... Was it? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 20, 2018, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 20, 2018, 06:42:22 AM

It wasn't that long ago, surely, because I remember that well into adulthood ... Was it? :unsure:

We still had those when I left BR in 1978, but then BR always did do everything on the cheap if they could get away with it.

Regards
Kit