XX164 Jaga of 4 FTS RAF Valley 1979

Started by Gondor, March 14, 2018, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I was deliberating about starting this build but as it should be a simple build which is virtually OOB other than the colour scheme that should help matters.

Basically what I am doing is painting up a Mitsubishi T2 as if the RAF had bought Jaguars to be supersonic trainers as originally intended so it will be a doable whiff. Although I am saying that there will not be much done to the kit I am thinking that I have a spare E/T fin from a Hasegawa kit somewhere and I could always remove the intake near the rear of the starboard wing trailing edge which would make the aircraft look that much closer to being a Jaguar  :wacko:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Well after almost turning my model room up side down to find the tail fin I checked the Jaguar against the Mitsubishi T2 and found that the tail of the T2 is longer from the rear of the engines to its tip with the fin being correspondingly longer as well, maybe I will just re profile the T2's tail to be similar to the Jag's so it looks as if it's a Jag rather than doing so plastic amputation.

Just in case anyone is wondering, Jaga is as close as this keyboard will allow me to type the Japanese word for Jaguar.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Weaver

There are quite a few detail differences between the T.2 and the Jag apart from the fin. Off the top of my head, and certainly not definitive:

T.2 has protruding intake splitter plate : Jag doesn't

T.2 has 1 x Vulcan cannon under the cockpits on the LH side : Jag has 2 x ADENs further back under the intakes

T.2 has straight-edged LERX : Jag's are curved

T.2 wing has a straight trailing edge : Jag's is kinked

T.2 ventral fins are forward of the fuselage break line (red stripe) : Jag's are right at the back, next to the engine nozzles

T.2 has single  main wheels : Jag has twin main wheels

T.2 has a radar nose : 2-seat Jag has a tin nose which is much smaller 

Jag has an area-ruled 'hump' on the spine just in front of the fin : T.2 doesn't

Jag has a cockpit aircon intake on the spine behind the canopy : T.2s doesn't

T.2 has wingtip Sidewinder pylons : Jag has overwing ones
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Yeah, but they still look like twins at first glance.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2018, 11:05:15 AM

I suppose I could take one of my Jaguar E/T2's and divert it from it's intended real life build to put it in a 90's colour scheme which is almost the same as the intended scheme for this build, just to see the two of them next to each other and to confuse the punters at the first show they are both at  :rolleyes:

Gondor

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2018, 11:05:15 AM

Don't they just, especially when a Whiffer has got their hands on one.

Go for it Alistair  :thumbsup:.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Actual construction has started, abet so far only the nose undercarriage bay has been glued to the underside of the rear cockpit, but its a start!

Gondor

Gondor

The cockpit has been added and painted, just waiting for me to add the decals then I can buttton up the fuselage. The underside of the wing has had the locating points for the wing pylons filled in as I have no plans to fit anything under the wings, its is a trainer after all.

Gondor

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Weaver on March 15, 2018, 08:50:25 AM
There are quite a few detail differences between the T.2 and the Jag apart from the fin. Off the top of my head, and certainly not definitive:

IIRC the Jag originally had splitter plates.  So in the WHIF world it's plausible they remained...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

Decals were put into the cockpit on Saturday but had no time to varnish them today so that will be done tomorrow evening just before I add a fishing weight to the nose and close up the fuselage.

Gondor

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 25, 2018, 12:24:25 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 15, 2018, 08:50:25 AM

IIRC the Jag originally had splitter plates.  So in the WHIF world it's plausible they remained...

Yep: Matchbox jumped the gun a bit and put them on it's GR.1, along with some dubious AS.30 missiles and an equally dubious Matra JL-100 pod (both of which are therefore great for whiffery, of course...)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on March 25, 2018, 04:26:25 PM

Yep: Matchbox jumped the gun a bit and put them on it's GR.1, along with some dubious AS.30 missiles and an equally dubious Matra JL-100 pod (both of which are therefore great for whiffery, of course...)

But not as much as Frog jumped the proverbial gun.

Anyway, a small update without pictures as there is not much to see.

Cockpits are decaled and in place as are the fuselage sides. Next thing will be tidying up the fuselage seam them adding the wings. I found the paint I will be using for the undercarriage so I can work on that when I want although painting the fuselage will probably take priority as it will require some fiddly masking on my part.

Gondor

Gondor

A bit of progress today. Managed to get around to adding the wings. Filling and tidying up some of the seams will e next on the list. Funny how no matter how carefull I think I am, the fuselage halves always manage to be slightly off in a few places causing a step  :unsure:

Gondor