Operation Smash Hit

Started by scooter, March 14, 2018, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

That test was carried out just south of the Control Centre of the Old Dalby Test Track where I worked (a lot....) in the 70s. You can just see the truck bed of the Unimog Road/Rail tractor that we used there shunting the flask into position at around 5:49 on the vid.

I went on a railtour of the Test Track in December and the guide relished pointing out where the crash test had taken place.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I love the "luggable" computer at 8:18.  Mrs z has one similar (but slightly larger).  It weighs a flipping ton.  I have no idea how she used to cart it about.

I remember this test.  Were there not claims that it was rigged as taking the impact on a corner meant that more of the impact was dissipated?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 15, 2018, 04:18:19 AM

I remember this test.  Were there not claims that it was rigged as taking the impact on a corner meant that more of the impact was dissipated?

Yes, that's right.

But the idea was to prove that lid wouldn't leak under such an impact, which had shown up on the earlier drop tests, but the movement was miniscule.

You can still see the marks of the crash test track on the ground to this day amazingly, and the place has been radically rebuilt to test all sorts of locos and rolling stock since then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I think I went there once to look at new LED signal heads.
Gee, what a fascinating life I once lead (sarcasm).

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

What I find fascinating is not the waste of a perfectly good class 46 locomotive, nor the way the containment vessel was undamaged.  The really interesting bit is how the carriages stood up to the event. In at least two of them, this was potentially a survivable crash.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 16, 2018, 09:46:12 AM

What I find fascinating is not the waste of a perfectly good class 46 locomotive, nor the way the containment vessel was undamaged.  The really interesting bit is how the carriages stood up to the event. In at least two of them, this was potentially a survivable crash.

The Mk 1 coaches were pretty good from that point of view. They were the first passenger vehicles that could withstand the 200 ton end load test, and they were designed BEFORE the test was formulated!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Ah, yes, but they are, of course, inherently dangerous because they don't have crumple zones built into their design & are, obviously, built using too heavy a gauge metal. :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

A lot of them were inherently dangerous because they were built with asbestos insulation, and it cost BR an arm and a leg to get rid of it all......

Regards
Kit