The 2018/2019 Group Build Season - The Plan

Started by NARSES2, March 12, 2018, 07:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right I've had some time to think about this and the current plan for the 2018/2019 G.B. Season is detailed below. Nothing's set in stone but at least it gives you an idea to make plans around if you are interested.

April 2018 - I'll call for sugestions for G.B. subjects to go into the subsequent poll. Don't forget that the 2017/2018 G.B. subjects will be ineligable for 2 seasons as voted for by you. Don't offer suggestions now, I will forget them.

May 2018 - I'll hold the poll.

June 2018 - The Annual One Week G.B. will be held. Either first or second week.

July/September 2018 - Slightly unusually we will have a G.B. which is being held without the customary vote. The R.A.F. 100 G.B. This has been discussed so I'm not circumventing democracy.........honest  :angel:

November 2018/January 2019 - G.B. 2

March/May 2019 - G.B. 3

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Sounds great Chris, thank you for keeping this on track!

The RAF 100th is entirely understandable. 

Really appreciate your efforts keeping this on point- the formula of nominating, polling, 3 scheduled GB's and the one week GB seems perfect. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

zenrat

Just to make it clear, the ineligible subjects are those that won the voting not those that were suggested.

In other words don't suggest Cold War, Flying boat etc or Sci Fi as those were the 2017/18 themes.  You can however suggest "Ornithopter" as while it was in the running last year it didn't win.

I can forsee "discussions" around Sci Fi.  For example, is a GB theme of  "Space Wars" allowed or does that fall under the ban on a GB called  "Sci Fi"?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 14, 2018, 01:59:58 AM
Just to make it clear, the ineligible subjects are those that won the voting not those that were suggested.

Absolutely.

As for Sci Fi ? I think I'll be lenient over that as using that term it's a huge subject and was chosen before the consequences of the choice, in terms of resting G.B.'s, was known. So as long as suggestions are specific they will be considered by the G.B. Supremo i.e. Me  ;)

Weaver

Originally posted and answered in the wrong place:

Quote from: Weaver on March 13, 2018, 07:20:04 AM
Couple of questions:

1. How soon can we get clarity on when the 1WkGB's going to be? The reason I ask is that I might have the option of taking some or all of that week off, but the chances of getting it shrink the later I leave it.

2. What's the exact nature of the RAF-at-100 GB going to be?

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2018, 07:35:07 AM
You sure you meant to post this here mate ? Or should it be in my post on the 2018/19 season proposals ? If so I'll move it for you.

Anyway to answer your questions.

One week GB will be either first or second weeks of June. Now given I'm up North for the Northern Show it will almost certainly be second week, therefore 11th to 17th June inclusive.

RAF -100 ? Haven't thought about it in that detail yet, but my first instincts would be to make it as open and inclusive as possible. I'll leave the exact scope up to the membership/moderators to decide during the usual pre G.B. discussion period which I'll set up a month or so before the start. If people wanted to enter builds based on the premise that the R.A.F. never happened ? (continuation of R.F.C./R.N.A.S. perhaps)  then I'll leave that one up to the membership to decide.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I didn't think of doing it that way  :banghead:

Cheers H  :thumbsup:

An embarrassed Chris  :angel:

NARSES2

Right a little clarification.

The Annual One Week Build will run from the 9th to 17th June inclusive. I'm using Moderator's prerogative here as I'm away first week in June and I want to take part.

Amended because I got my dates wrong  :banghead:

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 11, 2018, 12:22:23 AM
Right a little clarification.

The Annual One Week Build will run from the 11th to 17th June inclusive. I'm using Moderator's prerogative here as I'm away first week in June and I want to take part.

That's Monday to Sunday: isn't it normally Saturday to Sunday?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

:banghead: :banghead:

Yup. No idea what I was looking at. So it will run from the 9th (Queens Official B/Day) to the 17th June

NARSES2

Right I've screwed up yet again  :banghead:

When I set the dates out for the 2018/2019 Season I forgot to allow for the fact that in all probability the Cold War GB will get a two week extension.

Now I could move everything back a couple of weeks, but after a fair bit of humming and ahhing last night I've decided not to. Why not ? Well I really want to get the GB season down to 12 months rather than the 13/14 months we've seen of late. So 12 months allows for the One Week GB and 3 other GB's all of 3 months plus overtime.

So the One Week GB will still run from 9th to 17th June, it will just overlap slightly with any Cold War GB extension.

Mea Culpa and sincere apologies for the cock up.

Chris

Weaver

Thanks be for that: I've just booked the 11th to the 15th of June off work.... :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd let GB extensions over-run the next GB because:

1. If not finishing GB #1 on time means having to deal with conflicting priorities for the first two weeks of GB #2, then so be it: that's the price you pay for not getting on with it in GB #1,

2. Standard GBs are long, so having conflicting priorities for the first couple of weeks isn't that much of a problem anyway.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

The Australian Model Expo is on 9th to 11th June.
This is both a hinderance (I'll be at expo rather than in the shed) and a help (I'll be at expo with all it's vendors and the swamp and smell).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I also miss at least one day, hospital appointment, but if I do a simple "change of clothes job" should have time.