strobez - miniature modelling museum

Started by strobez, March 11, 2018, 06:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Hi all, I finally decided to start my own modeling blog post.  I'm on a bit of a mission to clear out the shelf of doom and some of the projects aren't really beffiting of a seperate post elsewhere.  I'll see how it goes, I do kinda like having seperate threads for my Tintin, Ghibli and Area 88 projects, so I'll probably just reserve this space for whatever else I get my fingers on.  I'd love to hear from other blog users as to how they seperate/consolidate their postings around the forums.

I'm not sure if I need to mention it explicitly, but comments, critiques and tangental discussions are all welcome here.
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Kicking it off...

I started working on a little 1/72 Academy Sopwith Camel that I found buried several styrafoam trays down on the shelf of doom.  I don't quite remember what my original plan for it was, but decided just to freestyle it from here on out. 

I got some green khaki down on the body, but started scratching up the finish while trying to mask the front cowling for an alluminium finish.  So I just said screw it and decided to layndown the paint and mask the other way 'round instead.

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Right next to the Camel, I found this homeless Chipmunk.  This one I do remember... it was my original attempt at the red Tintin Chippy from the Black Island adventure.  As I recall the battle of scribing over the monstrous rivets got the better of me and I declared a do-over... which was the right choice as I'm satisfied with how that one eventually turned out.

So even though this one is no longer attached to a project, I figured why not just give it a chrome finish (with a bit of black undershadowing) and slap some racing stripes on it?

I had to use the birdcage-style canopy because I wrecked the bubble one in an attempt at heat and smash modling...  :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Since I was working on painting my Ghbili (well Miyazaki technically) Fiat 500 yellow, I decide to grab another stalled project off the shelf... my l'il 1/144 Area 88 "Project 4" MiG-21.  I wasn't pleased with how the aluminium paint sat on the plastic, and I'm still not happy with how the yellow paint is sitting on top of that.  For some reason, even though the plastic seemed smooth, the paint has a bit of a rough surface look to it.  I though the yellow paint, being a gloss, would smooth it out, but not really.

I also managed to slightly overspray the yellow on the underside... so it'll now require another blast of aluminium paint to cover it up.

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

So I haven't had much success in posting much here.  For whatever reason, I prefer posting my current projects in the Current and Finished Projects section, so I guess I will just continue to do that.  However, I did like the idea of a modelling blog so much that I started one on my own.

I enjoy the genuine camaraderie that I get here, so I'm not going anywhere, but I felt the need to expand upon my reasons and stories behind each of my builds.  So my plan is to continue to just post here (and on Scalemates.com) as I regularly do during the WIP phase, but then afterwards wrap up the build and post the whole thing as a package on my blog.

So for those of you who've followed my projects closely, there won't be much new in terms of pictures - you've seen them all already.  However if you think you might be interested in the "Behind the Music" version of my projects (or just want to review them all in one handy-dandy organized place), feel free to check it out.

You can find my blog at http://strobez.ca

p.s. it's still a bit under construction as I attempt to fill in the backlog of projects. So not everything is on there yet...
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.