British Leyland Cars -Whiff ideas including photos

Started by McColm, January 19, 2018, 07:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I have to thank Kit for the information on the Austin/Morris Princess/ Wolseley Wedge.
This has got me thinking of possible Whiffs based on the popular Rover SD1.
Unlike the Princess which is available in 1/43 die-cast  Vanguard, Corgi and the elusive Heller 1/43 red plastic kit.
The SD1 is available in plastic through Scalextric- Slot Cars and die cast in different scales, Polistil-Tonka in the larger scales. Heller also did a 1/43 plastic kit as well.
There are only two estate versions of the Rover SD1, which are in separate museums in Britain. Which were originally built as SD1 saloons by the British Leyland in-house team. It's a pity that they didn't build more than two. I haven't been able to find any photos or drawings of the 4 door saloon, hence the idea for the Whiff.
Although Triumph did build the Lynx which does look very similar to the TR7 except for the hatchback. This had the SD1 rear which begs the question of a ragtop SD1 on a shorter wheelbase.
The Vanguard die-cast has expanded it's range to cover most of the popular British Leyland cars.
As Kit has suggested if the car was used in Motorsport the chances of a plastic model is increased. Making the TR7 and Mini Metro accessible in 1/24 scale.
Aoshima used to have a European range of 1/24 plastic model cars but these are becoming harder to find. Although Fujimi and Tamiya might have something similar as Honda were partners with the Austin Rover Group.

The Rat

How about an Austin Marina that was assembled correctly? Nah, there are whiffs, and then there are crazy fantasies!  ;D  I swear, if anyone could install a carburettor inside-out, it would be the guys on the line at BL. If you stripped it down to its last nut and bolt, and put it together properly, it was a fine car. But it was emblematic of the lack of quality control that killed a lot of the British car industry. Yes, I speak from experience.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Ah the glorious days of BL in it's full pomp  ;D

Monday cars, Friday cars and any day of the week the guys on the line felt they had a grievance  :banghead:

There's a film or t.v. program where Nigel Planner played the father of the family and he's a BL worker who is permanently on strike.  The day he has to go back to work he's so shocked it's  ;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

For inspiration and information on unbuilt BL cars: the British Motor Museum at Gaydon has (in addition to the main collection which has the most valuable/iconic cars) a Collections Centre. This houses a bunch of prototypes that never made it to production, plus various 'safety car' experiments and modified cars.

I went there last year and made lots of photos, let me know if you want to see those.

McColm

That's where I got the idea from seeing photos of the Rover SD1 on the AROnline website and a few on this forum. I vaguely remember going to the Syon Park motor museum which housed the first and last production cars that British Leyland built. They also had Motorsport examples as I can remember seeing the Maxi rally car. They also had a Austin Mini cut in half so you could see the interior parts.
It was there for ages before it was moved to Gaydon.
Personally I always thought that the Marina was underpowered and not developed to its full potential.
At the time I was the only member of my family to own a Ford Granada new shape. Well at least it didn't let the rain in through the sunroof and start rusting when there was moisture in the air.
One the whole British Leyland did build decent cars, the Mini and Range Rover have stood the test of time. So too has the LandRover. If I had my way I would have stuck a V8 into most of the top end cars with leather seats, air conditioning and traction control or gone down the turbo route.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on January 20, 2018, 05:34:34 AM

They also had Motorsport examples as I can remember seeing the Maxi rally car.

Ah yes, with the tailgate welded shut by me.  ;D

The Maxis proved not to be strong enough for serious rally work and all six of the shells had the top half of the tailgates welded shut leaving only the lower half to open, just like a normal boot.

Quote from: McColm on January 20, 2018, 05:34:34 AM

Personally I always thought that the Marina was underpowered and not developed to its full potential.

The 1.8's weren't too bad, with effectively an MGB engine under the hood.

But BL did plan a V8 engined Marina, with a standard Rover 3.5 installed, and some were built for the World Cup Rally. It never went into production but there were quite a few development cars built. One of them tried to kill me when the entire front wheel and suspension came off doing some test runs at MIRA. No fun, as you can imagine.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks for the info Kit. I haven't seen a Marina in plastic yet, but I'll keep looking.
I could go down the route of the SunTor conversion doormobile/pop up caravan.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 21, 2018, 02:05:38 AM
Check this out Mac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_P76

Yes, BL should have 'done a Holden' and sold the P76 over here. I saw one at the NEC show a few years ago and it was a most impressive car.

The Force 7 coupe really looks the business!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2018, 03:25:35 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 21, 2018, 02:05:38 AM
Check this out Mac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_P76

Yes, BL should have 'done a Holden' and sold the P76 over here. I saw one at the NEC show a few years ago and it was a most impressive car.

The Force 7 coupe really looks the business!  :thumbsup:
Trax Models do or did a 1/43 die-cast model, I'm not familiar with the brand name.
Looks like a 70's Japanese saloon car. I've seen this in plastic and could be a suitable donor.
Thanks I hadn't thought about the Australian, South African and other overseas plants that came under the British Leyland umbrella.

McColm

The Daimler DS 420 is available in 1/43 die-cast from Oxford Models. Two versions are available the limousine and the hearse but I can't help wondering what if you combined the two and built an estate/station wagon.
There can't be that many estate cars that can boast that they are powered by the Jaguar straight six.
I haven't been able to find any photos of this Whiff but no doubt someone must have built one, although the DS 420 does have a very large boot.

Then there's the Austin 3Litre developed before British Leyland took over Austin. The 4 door, ute and an aftermarket estate version available. Been reading up on this car , it's surprising that the Rover 3L engine wasn't fitted or the V8 which could have opened the door to the Wolseley and Vanden Plas variants. Even a larger brother of the Maxi with a hatchback.

PR19_Kit

Airfix did the Jag 420 in 1/32 scale, and it was quite a good kit, but they go for huge prices on eBay these days. I sold one maybe a year ago and it went for over £80! I was amazed. A lot easier to Whiff in plastic than a die cast, but you need to actually have one to start with of course.

The Austin 3 litre (ADO61) was a terrific car from the ride and handling point of view, but a styling and sales disaster. It had self levelling rear suspension, a first for BMC, and it gave us some problems trying to instrument it as there was so little space to work in.
It was also immensely strong, sharing its centre body shell with the 1800 (ADO17) which was the strongest car built in the UK for many years, 13000 lbs.ft/deg of twist.

Regards
Kit

McColm

McColm

I've been watching episodes of 'Shannons Club Tv' on YouTube,  it's a series on Australian cars ; owners,  motorsport variant and larger engines replacing the standard ones.
Hubnut has also tested the 2.5Litre  Marina Coupe which is also on YouTube.

McColm

I have managed to get hold of a Scalextric Rover 3500 0 3 B with Triplex , number 12, Esso and Motor Magazine decals. Registration number plate NFN762S .
I have cut the back off and trimmed this up to create a four door saloon,  it just needs a back window and boot/ trunk lid. It doesn't have any bumpers but as it is a Motorcross example they can remain removed. Three of the alloys are in good condition,  the other just needs painting.