B-25 COD

Started by The Rat, January 13, 2018, 11:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

One of the beasts currently driving me toward glue-sniffing. The ancient Airfix B-25, with major components that absolutely refused to go together neatly. I'm so fed up with PSR that the horrid underside will probably not get photographed, can't face working on it any more. Gear legs are on, but not the wheels. Tamiya Fine White primer (the best!) has been applied. You may notice that it has been converted to a taildragger, I might propose a Group Build one day in which we have to convert tricycle gears to conventional. Anyhow, this will be a US Navy COD, back story will probably be about a proposal that got to the flying stage but didn't get accepted.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

From what I remember of the Airfix Mitchell it had a lot more lumps and bumps (turret, waist guns, tail guns etc) than that and it looks like you've done a pretty good job of getting rid of them.

Trike to Taildragger GB sounds good but it should also go the other way.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 14, 2018, 01:09:11 AM
From what I remember of the Airfix Mitchell it had a lot more lumps and bumps (turret, waist guns, tail guns etc) than that and it looks like you've done a pretty good job of getting rid of them.

Don't really remember it as I built it when it was first issued and back then it would have been bought on the Saturday and in action by Sunday night  ;) However that does look as though you've done a good job with an ancient kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Yes, that genre of Airfix B-25 could be built in a zillion versions, I think it had three different noses included.

I built mine as an H model with the 75 mm cannon and 4 x 50s in a short nose, but it also came with an 8 x 50 long nosed version. Plus it had twin cheek 50s each side of the cockpit, a mid upper turret right behind the canopy, side guns and a tail ginner too.

You must have LOADS of spare parts left over from your very smooooooth looking build.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

b29r

Ahhhhh . . . . I just came upon this and I must disagree with you and say this is looking splendid!  Very nice mod work in removing the std. bomber stuff, plus the landing gear conversion is brilliant.  Please do keep after this and favor us with some progress when you can.  I will be watching intently  :mellow:

Best regards,
Kem

The Rat

Top coat is on. If you look closely you might be able to see the cargo door I've carved into the side behind the wing. Might give it a black watercolour wash to make it stand out better.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

b29r

Oh yes, very nice in her blue dress.  The cargo door is a great idea and use for a COD aircraft.  This reminds me of my first Airfix B-25 with the cannon nose, ocean blue livery, and RAF markings  ;)   Still have it and it's in the restoration hanger at present.  Do keep making such good progress on a fine build.

Best regards,
Kem

Captain Canada

Nice one Rat looks great in that colour
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Aside from a few small thingies to stick on, she's pretty well done. And good riddance to all the heartache with this collection of plastic bits. Airfix has recently molded a new B-25, and I would love to have the old mold so that I can take a blowtorch to it. Then melt it down, and ensure that no molecule of it is ever used as a model mold again. The evil locked in its damnable soul is probably hereditary.

zenrat

So you enjoyed this build then?

It came out very well considering.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

b29r

Well, she turned out nice Rat, in spite of all the fighting.  Your build was a super concept, and you pulled it off very well.

I didn't realize that Airfix had redone the Mitchell, and it appears that it is a nice one.  Maybe we'll have to give it a try sometime  ;)

Best regards,
Kem

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

What did you use for the dark blue ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 24, 2018, 05:29:57 PM
What did you use for the dark blue ?

Krylon Fusion interior/exterior in a rattle can, colour 42326 Navy bleu royal says the sticker.