Removing paint/ink from plastic signs

Started by kerick, January 09, 2018, 04:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

As my subject line suggests, has anyone used a solvent to remove the paint or ink from plastic signs? I know I can sand it off but its a pain to do a large area. I was thinking of trying oven cleaner or degreasing detergent in the same way as enamel paint. I'm hoping someone has an easier method.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Brake fluid.  Although it will cause embrittlement of the plastic if left on too long.

However, try GP thinners first.  It certainly cleaned the writing off a sign I was cleaning.  Shame, as I was only trying to remove overspray and wanted to keep the words.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Oven cleaner foam, and patience. Works wonders if you give it some days, and it is by far less aggressive than brake fluid.

kerick

I'll try Zenrat's idea first. I think you mean general purpose thinners for paint. I know lacquer thinner will melt the plastic. Engine degreaser will remove enamel paint so I might try that too. Thanks for the suggestions!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

I meant General Purpose Thinners sold for spraying cars.
But they may melt some plastics so be carefull.
They certainly quickly eat through latex gloves so wear some of the black chemical resistant ones.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I have some hardware store paint thinner I'm going to try.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Well, Easy Off no fume version was ineffective. Barely touched the paint and turned the one sheet of plastic yellow at exposed areas.
Tophe the Wise