What if the RAF didn't want the F-35... Tempest FGR.1

Started by chrisonord, December 24, 2017, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Going to tease you all with this one. Unable to finish my mk2 arrow, and unable to build my avro Archer due to the canopy being missing, I have another project on the stove.
It's nearly finished too so here's the back story and will try not to tell you what it is  :wacko: :wacko:
The year is 2002, the country, China. Two young and enthusiastic designers working for a large Chinese aircraft company are 2 years into their apprenticeship with said company when they both come up with a design for a 5th generation military fighter aircraft. The two design the whole aircraft from the ground up using the knowledge and skills they have learned from studying western and Russian aircraft, as well as the aircraft their company said was currently building for the Chinese air force. The company had its head in the sand when it came to anything other than what the government asked them to build, so shunned the two design engineers. As you can imagine this pretty well narked the two lads, and decided the design could buy them their freedom from the clutches of communist China. All the data was loaded on to pen drives and smuggled out of through the companies stringent security. The two both booked some leave and told their employers they were going to go hiking in the mountains then visit relatives in Hong Kong. At that time of year the mountain region was covered in snow and dangerous due to avalanches. The lads never got there, instead went straight to Hong Kong and stayed in a low key hotel out of the watch of authorities. They needed to find someone who worked in the British embassy who they could talk to and arrange for them to get in and arrange a deal to escape China.
They approached someone on their way home from the embassy, and they in turn spoke to their superiors. They were both smuggled in as the embassy was always being watched, and eventually after several hours of interrogation got to see the head of foreign affairs. They showed him part of what they had of the new fighter, the rest of which was hidden, and a deal struck. Five days later they had a letter posted under their hotel room door. The letter read Be at the fish dock by no later than 5am boat named Golden harvest, give the captain your last names after he has said your first, then board if you hesitate you will not be going anywhere.
The two get on and the boat immediately heads out in to open water some 75 nautical miles off the coast. There they stop and fish until it goes dark. At exactly midnight the lads are woken and told their ride is here. As they get up on deck a large object shrouded by the darkness emerges from the depths, a Royal Navy submarine. A crew member shouts across in broken Chinese, "hurry now, no time to waste". A rope is cast across and a makeshift gang plank just about bridges the gap between the two vessels.Both lads were very reluctant to go across the plank, until the captain told them, go now or never, so slowly and reluctantly they scurried over met by 2 naval officers, one Chinese who spoke to them reassuringly. I will tell you the rest tomorrow, maybe the day after  :-X
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Snowtrooper

Quote from: chrisonord on December 24, 2017, 01:34:57 PM
The two design the whole aircraft from the ground up using the knowledge and skills they have learned from studying western and Russian aircraft, as well as the aircraft their company said was currently building for the Chinese air force.
Sounds like a promising kitbash incoming. Westernized J-31? Sinified MiG 1.44 with UK things under the wings? Revell's JF90 prototype bashed with J-20?

[anticipation intensifies]

chrisonord

You were Luke warm with some of that. This is a straight out of the box build wise, something to keep my interest really, and something different from mirages and Kfir's.
Chris

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Reads like the opening scene from the next Bond film  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: DogfighterZen link=topic=44675.msg793230#msg793230 date ;D1514189404
Ah! I know what it is... :wacko: ;D :thumbsup:
Shh!  ;D ;D

darthspud2

no idea here, but i like the plot. When's the film coming to a cinema near me?
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

DogfighterZen

Quote from: chrisonord on December 25, 2017, 02:21:09 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen link=topic=44675.msg793230#msg793230 date ;D1514189404
Ah! I know what it is... :wacko: ;D :thumbsup:
Shh!  ;D ;D

;D My lips are sealed... :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

scooter

Quote from: darthspud2 on December 25, 2017, 03:37:06 AM
no idea here, but i like the plot. When's the film coming to a cinema near me?

About the same time Mel Brooks releases "History of the World, Part 2" :wacko:

And I'm intrigued...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Snowtrooper on December 24, 2017, 01:56:49 PM
[anticipation intensifies]
Quote from: chrisonord on December 24, 2017, 02:41:36 PM
You were Luke warm with some of that.
Something must've gotten lost in translation... yes, by the story description I thought it would be a kitbash, but I'm interested all the same even if it's OOB.  <_<

chrisonord

I am not far from finishing building this now, had a bit of puttying to do because of a couple of bad fitting parts, but nothing serious. I have some decals from an Italeri Hawk that should do for it toe, as it won't be in squadron markings being a pre production model.
Chris.

chrisonord

The build is currently having its matt clear coat done, minimalist decals are on. Here's some more back story for you.
The submarine that picked up the two Chinese design and engineers was swift to make up time on its journey as it was called in during a routine patrol of the "international waters", and there was a very good chance it was being shadowed by a Russian sub too.
The sub had another four weeks at sea, during which time the "guests " were looked after but limited to where they were allowed to move and always had 2 armed guards with them. The subs intelligence officer and translator chatted with the two almost as a casual conversation about their homes and the company they worked for before, gladly they spoke and described everything they were asked about, but only little was asked about the project they had on computer drives.
At long last the sub arrived at its home port of Portsmouth, and in darkness the two were disembarked with the rest of the crew, they were also dress in naval engineering boiler suits and caps,to help them blend in. At the gates of the navy yard was parked a Bentley limousine with 2 members of the MOD, and someone from the home office. They were quickly piled into the limousine and driven to a secret location in the capital.
Here they were offered a new life and work within the military aircraft design industry, and given new identities of Taiwanese exchange engineers. But all this d pend d upon the goods being good enough for the powers that be. Here they had to take the gamble, and hand over the complete set of schematics, and hope they didn't get burned.
Three days went past and the two designers were given the news they hoped for, even though they were told they would be under constant surveillance. MOD experts painstakingly went through every part of the aircrafts design, and translated it all, everything about it was thought about, all they had to do is work out how to build it with British equipment and parts, and hope the RAF and the government wanted it.
The RAF, was stuck in its ways regarding stealth technology and wasn't interested in it one bit, until they saw what this aircraft could potentially do. Larger faster and better capable of long range precision high value ground target attacks with little or no radar signature. A number of test scale models were built from the materials described in the schematics, and the rada tests raised many eyebrows. The RAF wanted a fully functional prototype building, now the fun began making it British.

NARSES2

chrisonord