Crown X Fighter - NOT your daddy's Star War(rior)s

Started by Faust, December 20, 2017, 07:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

It's only human nature to jump onto the bandwagon. When that bandwagon is being pulled by a successful franchise like Star Wars, it should come as no surprise that everybody wants in on the action. However, in the rush to cash in on a name, some companies take short cuts. This is where the wonderful world of "bootleg" or "non-licenced" toys, models and other goods takes centre stage.

I'm not here to encourage bootlegs, but when I come across one that's interesting, I can't help but show it off. Just in time for The Last Jedi, then, (See how I hopped on that bandwagon? ) I would like to present to you, the modelling public, my out of box review for the Crown Star Warrior X Fighter. Not even Poe's signature Black and Orange paint can save this outcast from failure!

Check it out at the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/crown-non-scale-star-warrior-x-fighter-oob/

kerick

Star Wars might have looked like this if it had been made in the 1950's.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Pretty cool. I dig stuff like this. More obscure, knock-offs, and the like....  "generic" kits, odd things like the "Alien Invader" and the like....    :thumbsup:

I have the review on deck and will be lunch-time reading.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Faust

There's a definite charm to these things, that's for sure!

Hope you enjoyed the review, TheChronicOne!

The Rat

From your review:

QuoteThey say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. They also say that flattery will get you nowhere.

And they also say that flattery can get your buttocks sued off by Lucasfilm!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Faust

Well, Disney now...

I can imagine, if this was made now, the Mouse would pay a serious visit to the good folks at Crown!

All I can think of is the South Park with the Jonas Brothers.

"Oh good. I thought we had a problem..."  :lol:

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Faust on December 21, 2017, 02:51:18 PM

I did, and many thanks for taking the time to produce it. Enjoyable and had me chuckling.....Quite thorough which is also nice. Some reviews can be full of words but never really say anything

That said, any thoughts I had entertained of actually building one will be relegated to the "If I can ever find a second kit, not to collect, and costs $5 or less."  ;D ;D Knowing what I know now, though, if I ever find one it'll just sit on the shelf as decoration. (I have two or three kits like this now that I don't plan to ever build but they are either collectible or I just like the "whole package" sitting as a display item. 

Definitely a neat curiosity though and one of the type of things I'll keep my eyes peeled for from now on as I peruse eBay.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Aaaand now I want to build one that's actually more like the box art than the contents - thanks.... :rolleyes:  ;)

Seriously, thanks for that: never heard of it before. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Faust

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 23, 2017, 08:53:20 AM
Quote from: Faust on December 21, 2017, 02:51:18 PM

I did, and many thanks for taking the time to produce it. Enjoyable and had me chuckling.....Quite thorough which is also nice. Some reviews can be full of words but never really say anything

That said, any thoughts I had entertained of actually building one will be relegated to the "If I can ever find a second kit, not to collect, and costs $5 or less."  ;D ;D Knowing what I know now, though, if I ever find one it'll just sit on the shelf as decoration. (I have two or three kits like this now that I don't plan to ever build but they are either collectible or I just like the "whole package" sitting as a display item. 

Definitely a neat curiosity though and one of the type of things I'll keep my eyes peeled for from now on as I peruse eBay.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's not so much a builder as a displayer. The box art really is nice, and the "Oh my God... really?" factor is great when Star Wars fans see it! My Marui G34 (Hitler's 6 wheeled staff car) is in the same boat. I love the box, but the kit is meh, so I went and got an ICM instead. Now I want a second Marui, so I can a.) get the figures and b.) do one as a hot rod.

Quote from: Weaver on December 23, 2017, 02:06:01 PM
Aaaand now I want to build one that's actually more like the box art than the contents - thanks.... :rolleyes:  ;)

Seriously, thanks for that: never heard of it before. :thumbsup:

A kit like the box would be so awesome. Clearly, the art department didn't talk to the moulding boys at all... or they did and realized that something that looked like the real kit would never sell! :)

You're welcome, by the way!