An Aircraft of The Hungarian African Expeditionary Air Force

Started by Gondor, December 11, 2017, 01:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

An Aircraft of The Hungarian African Expeditionary Air Force

The He 111K was a three engined Hungarian derivative of the well-known aircraft. Only the prototype was completed and that was assigned to the Commander of the military delegation that visited North Africa to learn from first-hand from the other Axis forces about desert warfare.

The original aircraft,powered by three WM-K-14 engines, were replaced after it's capture by three Bristol Hercules engines from a damaged Short's Sterling that had been sent to Egypt on trials and then come to grief.

The new owners of the He 111K used it in a similar manner to its former owners, ferrying high ranking officers around well behind the front line, just to make sure that it was not inadvertently shot down by mistake. It's end however, came when a sandstorm caused the aircraft to divert to a small airstrip where the aircraft ran into a ditch damaging one of the main undercarriage units beyond repair.

The idea behind this build has been Dizzyfugu's Post-war Heinkel He 70 floatplane, Scandinavian Airline System which made me think of doing it BIGGER!!

So out of the stash came the old Revell He 111 H-4/6 kit and a spare set of Bristol Hercules from an Airfix Lancaster B.II. I managed to find some spare glazing for the new upper level cockpit and extra passenger compartment windows as well. So it's on with the plastic mayhem!
It's also a good excuse to use up some old RAF roundels too!
Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Interesting, even though I have th efeeling that the He 70 might look a little over-engined with three radials grafted onto it? Nevertheless, curious about the outcome, and the landing gear arrangement.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 11, 2017, 11:38:36 PM
Interesting, even though I have th efeeling that the He 70 might look a little over-engined with three radials grafted onto it? Nevertheless, curious about the outcome, and the landing gear arrangement.

Dizzy, its a tri-motored He 111 with the crew above the fuselage like the He 70. I will try to mock up the canopy and the rest of the aircraft together so you have a better idea of what I am doing.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on December 12, 2017, 01:31:02 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 11, 2017, 11:38:36 PM

Dizzy, its a tri-motored He 111 with the crew above the fuselage like the He 70. I will try to mock up the canopy and the rest of the aircraft together so you have a better idea of what I am doing.

Gondor

Ah, sorry, misunderstood it! Tri-Motor He 111 sound sexy, too, though.  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Here are a couple of progress pictures

First the wings. The radiators have been removed and engine fronts from Revell DC-10's have been placed where the new engines will be mounted to provide a guide for where there needs to be nasal built.

And here is what I have done to the fuselage sides so far

I was going to enlarge the small round windows to roughly the same size as the other windows, however, with some of the crew sitting in that area I decided to leave the windows fairly small. Some of the cargo/mail would also be stored in that area and it saves on windows. Speaking of which, I thin that some of the spare windows I have that are almost the right size are from an old Airfix Puma kit. I anyone has a couple of spare windows available from one of those kits, or the Heller version, it would be much appreciated.

Gondor

Tophe

Quote from: Gondor on December 11, 2017, 01:14:19 PM
The He 111K was a three engined Hungarian derivative of the well-known aircraft.
I'd be interested, at the end, to turn your 3-engined He-111K into a 5-engined He-111KZ... :thumbsup:
(just as picture, with my Corel Photopaint software)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]