US Fighters F-1 to F-35

Started by TomZ, December 03, 2017, 10:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

I updated my 1/144 US fighter page with the post 1962 F-1 to F-35

Bigger pic and models used on: http://www.airwar1946.nl/Scalemod/SM-USFighters.htm

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

just makes you realise that there are some LARGE gaps in the sequence, bags of space for our sort of models.  ;) :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

ysi_maniac

Nice collection indeed.

BTW: ARII F-111 is a nice model.
Will die without understanding this world.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

TomZ

Quote from: seadude on December 04, 2017, 10:22:33 AM
You're missing the F-32.

Sorry, but no. There never was a F-32, only an X-32.
Only the X-35 turned into the F-35.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Snowtrooper

It's always nice to learn something new. For some reason, I always thought that the F-7 designation would have been given to Gutless Cutlass, not to Sea Dart (considering the previous designation of the former was F7U and the latter never entered service), but surprisingly that was indeed not the case. The more you know. :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Quote from: Snowtrooper on December 04, 2017, 01:56:08 PM
It's always nice to learn something new. For some reason, I always thought that the F-7 designation would have been given to Gutless Cutlass, not to Sea Dart (considering the previous designation of the former was F7U and the latter never entered service), but surprisingly that was indeed not the case. The more you know. :thumbsup:

And most curiously the Seadart got the F-7 designation years after the the program had been shut down...strange.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Caveman

Quote from: TomZ on December 04, 2017, 11:03:51 AM
Quote from: seadude on December 04, 2017, 10:22:33 AM
You're missing the F-32.

Sorry, but no. There never was a F-32, only an X-32.
Only the X-35 turned into the F-35.

TomZ

Was there really an F19 then? I didn't realise that there was an f12 I had only ever heard of an a12? And The black widow was YF23 wasn't it? Cool collection none the less. You planning a b version :) ?
secretprojects forum migrant

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Caveman on December 05, 2017, 02:53:34 AM
Was there really an F19 then? I didn't realise that there was an f12 I had only ever heard of an a12? And The black widow was YF23 wasn't it? Cool collection none the less. You planning a b version :) ?
A-12 was not the official Tri-Service designation, it was Lockheed's internal model name for 12th design for the Project Archangel (Angel had been the codename for U-2), designed to fulfill CIA's OXCART specification. It then developed into three derivative variants: YF-12A interceptor (three prototypes only, production order was already in place but program killed by Strange McNamara due to rising costs of Vietnam War), M-21 drone carrier (A-12 with minor changes, two prototypes only, drones were launched from B-52 instead after one mothership was lost in an accident), and SR-71 Blackbird.

F-19 designation was in practice skipped because Northrop's marketing department wanted the F-20 designation to market the Tigershark as a "next-generation" fighter (it was at first already assigned the number 19). Since the Stealth Fighter was the best and worst kept aviation secret at the same time (its existence was basically assured, but its form and function unknown), it was publicly assumed that the 19 was skipped because it was reserved for some secret prototype (since the renumbering story would not surface until well after the F-117 was publicized).

Of course, some webpages still claim that a F-19 did/does exist alongside F-117 - mostly basing their arguments on the fact that at one point the Stealth Fighter was referred to as CSIRS or COSIRS, COvert Survivable In-weather Reconnaissance and Strike, and F-117 was a fair-weather plane which was never publicly acknowledged to have had a reconnaissance role, and that USAF museum at one point stated "F-19 CSIRS, see F-117". There certainly were other black projects, but whether they were ever assigned any numbers in the "main" series is questionable (even Northrop Tacit Blue was still designated YF-117D and Boeing Bird of Prey YF-118G).

McColm