This is almost enough to make me quit modeling

Started by The Rat, December 03, 2017, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

The original Airfix B-25. Horrid. The fit is perhaps the worst I have ever encountered. The fuselage is so bad that I'll have to reskin the bottom seam to hide it. I know that a lot of Whifs require drastic work, but this hardly seems worth it.  :banghead:  There isn't enough whisky in the world to deal with the dread that fills me every time I sit at the bench and look at this thing.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Something must have happened to it Dave, I never had problems with the ones I've built. I thought it was quite a good model to build.  Mind you that was quite a few years ago ----  :rolleyes:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Scotaidh

I've never built a B-25 - not a fan of that aircraft, so I can't comment on it. Your post has brought this memory to mind, though.  :)

A long time ago (I was 13, IIRC) I built the Airfix Catalina.  One hull half was bigger - taller, than the other.   It was the first time I experienced a bad mold job.  I decided to see what I could do with it anyway. 

I had the choice of having either the top or bottom seam out of contact.  I chose the bottom, because a) I could paint the bottom of the hull with a dark sea-green; and b) it was a lot less obvious. 

I ended up with a longitudinal step in the keel, about 1/8th" high.  The mis-match at the top was hidden by the wing socket, and I had to make the wing struts longer, but she sat on my shelf for some years.  :) 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 03, 2017, 10:33:06 AM
Something must have happened to it Dave, I never had problems with the ones I've built. I thought it was quite a good model to build.  Mind you that was quite a few years ago ----  :rolleyes:

It may have had good fit when it was released, but this must be one of the last ones squeezed into the molds before the new one was started. If it was for a kid who wanted to build it with the working features, it would be impossible.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on December 03, 2017, 11:04:52 AM

It may have had good fit when it was released, but this must be one of the last ones squeezed into the molds before the new one was started. If it was for a kid who wanted to build it with the working features, it would be impossible.

I think the moulds have done the rounds too ---- pity about the condition of them then.  Probably why they've done a new mould, I will have to get one and see what the improvement is.

Weaver

You should see the state of the RPM Beriev Be-4 that's the basis of my Floatplane GB build.

No locating pins of any sort,
No locating tabs for the tailplanes (not even an indication where they're meant to go, actually),
Fuselage halves don't match and are made of very thick plastic, so hard to bend,
Left and right cockpit canopy cutouts don't match,
Glazings are so thick and misty that they look like shower glass,
Wing and float struts are square-edged 'planks' rather than aerofoil section,
Cockpit floors and bulkheads are at least 5mm too wide to fit in the fuselage,

and the killer:

Inner and outer wing sections don't have the same thickness at the joint - by a LOT.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Part of the problem is that it's an injection conversion of a vac-form kit. Basically, I'm just using it as a fuselage donor now...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Yup. I would have built it when it first came out and have no nasty memories of it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 04, 2017, 06:20:36 AM

Yup. I would have built it when it first came out and have no nasty memories of it.

You guys are making me feel like a young pup. I guess 64 is the new 30!  ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on December 04, 2017, 04:28:57 PM

Weeeelll!  I'm 63  ----- ;D

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 04, 2017, 05:26:51 PM
Quote from: The Rat on December 04, 2017, 04:28:57 PM

Punk

Weeeelll!  I'm 63  ----- ;D

NARSES2

65 for me  ;) and today I found £10 credited to my bank account by the DWP (Dept of Work and Pensions). After checking it out it's apparently the £10 Xmas bonus the Government gives us OAP's, first time I've got it and had no idea . So there's some benefits to hitting 65  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ah, THAT'S what that £10 was, thanks. I noticed it in my account y'day and couldn't figure out what it was for.

Oh yeah, you lot can get some in, I'll be 75 on Boxing Day, that's 3/4 of a CENTURY!  ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

10 quid?  Treat yourself to a box of mince pies and don't forget to vote for them next time.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on December 05, 2017, 02:17:26 PM
10 quid?  Treat yourself to a box of mince pies and don't forget to vote for them next time.   :thumbsup:

What, the mince pies? :unsure:

At 55 I'm feeling positively boyish around you lot! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 06, 2017, 02:39:54 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 05, 2017, 02:17:26 PM

What, the mince pies? :unsure:...

They might do a better job than most politicians.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..