Sprue cutters: are they worth it?

Started by Hobbes, November 24, 2017, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I checked out some sprue cutters at SMW. But they all looked like ordinary wire cutters, with fairly thick jaws so while you cut a sprue you're forcing it apart. This tends to break small parts, which is why I use a scalpel or a saw to remove parts from the sprue. Are there sprue cutters that don't have this drawback ?

McColm

I use a pair of toe nail clippers/scissors which works for me.

NARSES2

Harro, I found that with sprue cutters you really do get what you pay for. I got a pair of rather expensive Xuron ones at SMW a couple of years ago and they have certainly repaid the cost.

Having said that, The Wookster gave me a very small pair recently (toe nail clippers ?), which I think he got in one of the UK "cheapo" shops, and they are great for small pieces with not over heavy gates.

For a lot of my older limited run kits however I use a saw and then clean up. The gates tend to be huge.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Are they worth it?
Yes.
I have a pair of Xuron sprue cutters and they are the mutts nuts.  They have a flat side so you can cut right up close to the part.

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/xuron-2175et-professional-sprue-cutter/
They are not cheap but I got round that by receiving them as a xmas present last year.
Previously I had been using a pair of pincers and these are much better.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

IIRC Xuron's were originally designed to cut model railway rail sections to length cleanly, but they work even better as sprue cutters.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I use a pair of wire cutters which I appear to have inherited from somewhere or other.  More than likely one of those "Computer tool kits" I was given by one employer or another.   They work well.   The blades are getting a little bit knicked from using them to cut something they weren't intended to cut at one stage or another.   
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

JayBee

I also have a pair of Xuron cutters. They are described as being "Shear" cutters, in other words the two cutting edges overlap and give a clean cut.
They work great  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

scooter

I've got a Tamiya and a cheapo pair of sprue cutters, and they are fantastic on medium to large parts.  For the smaller parts, I use a scalpel or razor blade on them.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!!!  I wouldn't be without a pair now. I didn't buy any labeled AS sprue cutters, rather a pair of "flush side cutters" or whatever. I used to use a little bitty pair of dikes but couldn't get as close to the part as I'd like. The sprue cutters though... can trim right up against a part which saved having to file away and sand away burrs. I mean.. you still should sand it a bit to smooth it out but it's much quicker and better than dealing with a big chunk of it.

In short... get you a pair and you'll fall in love!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Absolutely "YES!"

I was using a pair of everyday side-cutters & my razor-saw until the SAPMA Expo this year, where I bought a pair of "Plato" Model 170 Shears. Since first using them I've used nothing else to get parts off sprues (except clear parts, I still use my razor-saw for that).

(Reads like a bloody advertising testimonial, doesn't it. :rolleyes: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

That's what I have. Work great but mine wound up sprung somehow. I can still use them but if I'm not paying attention the cut will be jagged. No clue how they got that way... they worked beautiful then all of a sudden I picked them up to use again and they were out of whack.  :unsure:  I only used them on sprue that was thin enough... if I came across an unusually thick bit I reverted to the dykes.  :unsure:

Of course.... I ordered them direct from mainland China so they were only $1.50 with free shipping. At that price I'm not too torn up about it.  ;D  Only drawback was they took nearly a month to get here. :rolleyes:   :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

I've got a pair of the Xuron ones. They're very good. They do force the parts of the sprue apart however and that can be a problem with delicate parts, so in that case, I try to avoid damage by cutting the sprue up in such a way that the 'detaching' cuts don't side-load the part. I occasionally use a chisel blade in a craft knife for very small or oddball parts.

Just noticed today that Hobbycraft are selling 'economy' sprue cutters for £4.50.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2