Be on the lookout for stolen Fuso model!

Started by seadude, November 18, 2017, 03:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I'm not sure where to post this, so Admins can move it if needed.

I saw the following thread on Modelwarships.com and thought maybe to share here since a vast majority of forum members are from the UK and most likely went to the Telford Model Show. If anybody saw or knows anything, then contact the guy over on MW. ;)
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166225
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

PR19_Kit

That's one very well built shop model and my totally un-built Stalwart gone missing.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I was cc'ed in an email from the owner this morning, asking if any one had any info about its where abouts.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

How the hell could it go missing from the competition ?

I've only ever seen one example of a shady looking character at a show and he moved on sharpish when he realised I'd noticed him and was watching. It makes me feel both sad and angry at the same time. What do you do with it ? Sell it on, which makes me angry or claim it's yours which makes me sad.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

For the love of......     unless it was Ray Charles I don't see how anyone could accidentally grab that and walk off with it thinking it was anything other than someone else's property.

:rolleyes: :angry:
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

There was someone nicking at Crewe a couple of years back: Hank got involved in trying to find them, but without success.

According to that Shipmodeller thread there was quite a bit of theft from trade stands at SWM this year as well.

Must admit, it struck me a couple of times as I was waiting patiently to ask a question while the stand staff were all occupied with other punters and not looking my way that, if I was a thieving scumbag, I could just walk off with the item and nobody would notice. Perils of the situation I suppose: they can't exactly tag the stuff with RFID price tickets at a show can they?

Thinking about that a bit more, I suppose it's not out of the question for a big venue to make punters walk out through the kind of scanning gates they have in big stores (I presume you can hire portable ones). All the traders who wanted to use the system would have to have the same standard of RFID tag on their goods though (don't know if they're all the same anyway) and the cost would have to be footed somehow, either from trade stall fees or ticket prices.

Sad state of affairs when you have to think about stuff like this isn't it?  :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

TheChronicOne

Since I didn't see it mentioned in the thread over there, I would recommend them comparing notes to see what all else came up missing at the same event. Perhaps finding one may lead to others as the person or groups of persons who did the thieving may have stolen other things too.

Two people on this Earth I have no use for: A liar, and a thief.
-Sprues McDuck-

seadude

It really is sad that somebody has to go and steal another modeler's work. :( It really makes me angry.  :angry: I can only hope the guy gets his model back.
I've never had any of my models taken from a contest nor have I seen or heard of it being done at contests that I've gone to to the best of my knowledge.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

PR19_Kit

I had one of mine stolen off a club stand at a show in Sheffield back in the 70s.

It was a 1/72 767 NAS F-4K Phantom modelled wheels up and mounted on a two wire stand at a pretty steep angle. It also had LOTS of weapons under-wing, maybe more than was possible really, but it was very striking, which may have made it a target.

One of my fellow clubmembers saw the tea leaf grab it and hustle off but he couldn't get out from behind the stand in time to chase him.  :banghead:

One day I may do a rebuild, but it's a loss nonetheless.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Sharia punishment is required - cut their hands off.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on November 19, 2017, 01:58:52 PM
Sharia punishment is required - cut their hands off.

No, no, too brutal and who'd clean the mess up?  Make them walk a gauntlet of modellers...   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

That could be more brutal.  I've been subjected to elbows and BO at the Model Expo Swap and Sell.  Something I suspect contravenes the Geneva Convention.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2017, 01:46:09 AM
That could be more brutal.  I've been subjected to elbows and BO at the Model Expo Swap and Sell.  Something I suspect contravenes the Geneva Convention.

Well, many years ago, at the swap section of the Paris Model Show, I found somebody's false teeth planted in my jacket shoulder...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Fred

TheChronicOne

^^   ;D ;D ;D  ?! 

Them false teeth have a funny way of winding up in strange places by strange means.
-Sprues McDuck-