Brown decal film - a novel solution.

Started by Weaver, November 05, 2017, 02:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Hi folks,

I just got my anti-flash white Skyhawk out to take to Telford, only to discover that the decal film surrounding the RAF roundels has turn an unsightly brown colour. I suppose the obvious solution is to just paint over it, very carefully, with matt white paint, but I was wondering if anyone has any other solutions to offer? This can't be the first time this has happened (can it?).......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Stick it in the sun.  Oh hang on, UK in November...

Very carefull trimming with a very sharp blade?  Or did you clear over the decals?
Blend them in by washing the rest of the airframe in Unsightly Brown?

I think painting might be the best solution.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Too late for prevention (cutting off the clear around the roundel), so I'm fairly sure zenrat's on the mark with painting being the way to go.

Bit of a bugger, eh!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Just saw this on Twitter and thought I'd pass it on:

The lamp in the picture is about £30, but there are cheaper, lower-powered ones on the market too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Presumably that's what the 'tape them on a window' system relies on too?

Quite a clever idea that.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2018, 02:08:36 AM
Presumably that's what the 'tape them on a window' system relies on too?

Quite a clever idea that.  :thumbsup:

Probably the safer option in Aus, where a day on the window could easily see the yellowing disappear & the marking go from hi-viz to anti-flash pale. ;D

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 10, 2018, 02:29:17 AM
Obviously the UK option.  ;)

Snigger! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

I've done the "stick it on the window" trick several times in the winter, it still works even when it's overcast.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.