Fairey Sabrefish Mk-II

Started by TomZ, October 19, 2017, 09:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

When in early 1940 the first Fairey Albacores showed no great increase of performance over the Swordfish, the Royal Navy began to look for ways to extend the life of the Swordfish.
A production Swordfish Mk I was taken from the assembly line and fitted with a Napier Sabre IIA engine. This provided almost three times the power of the Pegasus engine fitted to the Swordfish I. Maximum speed was raised from 230km/h to over 400km/h with a payload increased from one to two torpedo's.

The Sabre engined version was officially designated Swordfish Mk V, but the crews quickly named them Sabrefish. This was taken up by the Royal Navy and the Swordfish Mk V became the Sabrefish Mk I.

In 1942 the Sabrefish Mk II arrived with bigger fuel tanks and the ability to fit underwing rockets.

http://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-Sabrefish.htm

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

andrewj

You know , that looks very good , looks just right somehow, great idea very nicely done.

Andrew

PR19_Kit

Superb, wonderful bit of cross-kitting there.  :thumbsup:

I hope they fitted stainless steel rigging wires as all that extra horsepower would likely wrench the wings clean off!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That look really good, and suits the colour scheme  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Rev up the engine on a still day & the thing'd take off vertically! ;D

Love the look of it, not so sure the wings'd stay on at 400km/h. ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

63cpe

Love your souped-up swordfish!

Very inspirational stuff as you worked out how to transform a plane jane Swordfish into a hotrod: up a bigger engine in it! why not take it all the way? Clip the wings (not V-it), Shave it (all protrusions off), maybe lower its fuselage (sectioning), put chrome exhaust stacks on, lower it's undercarriage and chromed it, moondiscs on the much wider wheels, a really long throttle lever with skull on it and of course put a flamejob or scallops on it!
Still haven't figured out where to put the chrome beer keg....

:thumbsup:
David!

PR19_Kit

Needs a 6-71 blower on top of that Sabre for a REAL hot-rod look.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

Dizzyfugu

Nice. An alternative name could also be "Overkill"...?

I am amazed how well the massive engine blends into the fuselage, well done.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

That's fabulous Tom.  Wish i'd thought of it.
:thumbsup:

You need to build a floatplane version for the next GB.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

I wonder if this thing would - in real life - not simply topple forward on the ground...  :o

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 20, 2017, 01:10:15 AM
I wonder if this thing would - in real life - not simply topple forward on the ground...  :o

Prolly would if you revved it up without removing the chocks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on October 20, 2017, 12:53:41 AM

You need to build a floatplane version for the next GB.

quite naturally indeed

long live seaplanes

NARSES2

I do like the look of that :bow:

Now got me thinking of putting a 4 bladed prop on a CR 32, looks slightly similar forward of the wings ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Looks very good indeed, nice work! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"