Off-Hand Challenge Ex-Wing

Started by Scotaidh, October 07, 2017, 02:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Some time ago, Keptin Barnes of StarShipModeler fame challenged us all to build a model using only/mostly our "non-writing" hand. 
I took up that challenge, and it was fun if the results, I say in all modesty, are never going to win anything anywhere.  :)
I built an X-wing, making the changes I'd wished the original had - longer wings, bigger engines, smooth skins (no big muckin' holes in the wings), a paint-job that didn't scream "Here I am!", and a defensive capability for the R2 unit - why else have it 'viewing' to the rear?

I was challenged to build a model - any model - using predominantly my non-writing hand. I decided to do a Product-Improved X-Wing. Bigger engines, improved weaponry, better nasal profile and better empennage. This is my matte-black Ex-Wing, done by my left hand.

As you can see, the extended wings had a warp problem. Until the problem could be addressed, manoeuvres were restricted in roll-rate. The in-board placement of the cannon was designed to reduce the effect of roll-rate and centrifugal forces when firing solid projectiles. The fuselage was rounded to increase internal storage of things like fuel, life-support, ammunition.  It really should have been dubbed "Wimpey" ...

The aft fuselage was lengthened and streamlined for less dramatic atmospheric transitions - quieter and smoother (less shock-wave effect).

I like that it's difficult to discern any details of the craft

I wanted a nose more like the EE/BAC Lightning and less like a masonry chisel ...

I kept the torpedo launch tubes, but drilled them out and inserted tubing.

I got rid of the huge holes in the inner wing faces - I don't know what they were for, but I thought they looked stupid and needed to go. Someone said "heat exchangers", to which I replied "drag-generators". Why, yes- I am an opinionated fellow - why do you ask?

Instead of Red 5, this is 'Rouge Quatre', shortened by the English as "Red Cat" ... Mon Dieu, les Angles! You can almost see the cannon barrel protruding from the Read Defense Turret.

Again, if you look closely you can just about make out the Rear Defense Turret with its short-range defensive particle beam cannon.

I left Lucien in his orange rompers. I've seen him put in black, to better hide, but I think that if he had to eject, he'd rather be found by almost anyone rather than hide to death.

Not elegant, not sexy - but deadly. She's a wee bit worn and bent from hard use, but empires don't fall of themselves, you know. Compared to the original T-65, she features longer endurance, better defense capabilities, more offensive punch, better acceleration, is much stealthier, with better atmo-to-space transition characteristics. The Empire hates her.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

I can't scratch my nose left handed.  Good job.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Interesting challenge and there's no way I could have produced anything near as good. My left hand can hold a pint and do a couple of other things  ;) but that's about it.

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 07, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
challenged us all to build a model using only/mostly our "non-writing" hand. 

A fair few of the "younger generation" would struggle with that concept and need it explained in terms of a keyboard  ;D Most of them seem to be able to use both hands whilst using one, whereas I'm a two finger lad  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Keptin Barnes and I were the only participants in the challenge.  Holding a dremel in the 'wrong' hand was ... interesting, in a Chinese sort of way.  :)  Paint brush, too, was different.  An exception was made for wielding sharp things, such as Xacto knives, to prevent injury and possible death.  :) 

I've not done the like since - it was too hard, mentally.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Vorcha

wow! i love the redesign and the colours  :wub:
paper boy

Dizzyfugu

I am not certain if I could get something together with the non-writing hand... respect!  :thumbsup: