safety in a Fokker compared to, say, a SE5A

Started by Allan, September 26, 2017, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

if you're in the cockpit of a Triplane or a Fokker D7 your head protrudes quite a way into the airstream....the SE5A had some sort of headrest though I suppose it wasn't armoured....would you feel really much more vulnerable in the Tripe or Fokker compared to sitting in the SE?

NARSES2

I suppose the Fokker pilots would say they were able to keep an easier eye on what was going on behind them ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

I'd say the pilot's of the D.VII and S.E.5a would feel relatively safe, as each was in one of the best aircraft of the war.   ;) :thumbsup:

Rheged

It all depends how you define safe!   All 1WW aircraft were sticks ,  string and  fabric  so safety is a matter of relativity. Few parachutes, no oxygen, lots of bits and pieces in the way if you did try to climb out.......and Martin and Baker hadn't even thought (yet) about an enormously powerful coiled spring under the driver's backside to hurl him out of his machine if problems did arise.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

andrewj

Quote from: Rheged on September 27, 2017, 10:43:38 AM
It all depends how you define safe!   All 1WW aircraft were sticks ,  string and  fabric  so safety is a matter of relativity. Few parachutes, no oxygen, lots of bits and pieces in the way if you did try to climb out.......and Martin and Baker hadn't even thought (yet) about an enormously powerful coiled spring under the driver's backside to hurl him out of his machine if problems did arise.

Not to mention being shot at as well

jcf

The pre-war DFW and Jeannin Stahltaubes had a steel frame, the Jeannin's saw combat.

D.VII, Breguet 14, both had a steel tube fuselage frame.

Steel and/or aluminum fittings were standard, as were steel cables and turnbuckles, etc.

Formed wood coverings and all wood wings were not unusual on the German side.

There were also heavily armoured ground-attack aircraft, and of course the Junkers all-metal types.

Etcetera.

NARSES2

And of course by the War's end the German's (and maybe others ?) were using parachutes.

However I do know what Mr Rheged is on about  ;)

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 27, 2017, 08:10:38 AM
I'd say the pilot's of the D.VII and S.E.5a would feel relatively safe, as each was in one of the best aircraft of the war.   ;) :thumbsup:

Can't disagree with you there Jon  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Not much armour on any airplane of that time.

"Popular changes (to SE5) included reducing the dihedral of the wings in order to increase its manoeuvrability and the removal of the head faring to increase the pilot's visibility to the rear."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_S.E.5

At least they had a high wing to protect the pilot in case of a "rough landing".

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v16B75742/www/products/model_kitsets/32027/archive_photos/Fokker%20D.VII%20(Alb)%20crash%20with%20160hp%20Daimler-Mercedes%20D.III%20engine%20(0825-026).jpg