1/144 Airfield Diorama 3.0

Started by Spey_Phantom, September 26, 2017, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

a few years ago, i build an Airfield diorama to photograph finished models on.
however, the old airfield (with exception of the large hangar) did not survive the move 2 years ago.

so i decided to build a new one, this time in a Soviet/Russian style.

it will feature 1 hardened aircraft shelter, embedded in a grass hill.
here's a preliminary design, the interiour wil be large enough to house an Su-27 (130mm wide, 65mm high and 170mm deep).

also, i ordered a few extra's on AliExpress (a good site to get cheap equipement), including tree's, cars and figures in N-scale (1/150).
yesterday, the personel arrived (100 figures, only cost me about 1.5 euro's).
they will be repainted in military uniforms.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

more supplies arrived today  :mellow:
this time, the cars and trucks (from AliExpress).

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Progress made,

while the inside parts for the shelter are drying, ive started cutting plastic for the control tower building.
earlier this week, the last parts for the scenery arrived, the trees that will go in the backdrop.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

How big is it going to be?
My Dadswell Bridge Aerodrome diorama is about 1m x 0.8m x 80mm and the backdrop is painted on hinged ply meaning the whole thing can be packed up flat for storage.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: zenrat on October 15, 2017, 03:31:12 AM
How big is it going to be?
My Dadswell Bridge Aerodrome diorama is about 1m x 0.8m x 80mm and the backdrop is painted on hinged ply meaning the whole thing can be packed up flat for storage.

the dimentions are expted to be somewhere arround 32 x 50cm (i dont remember the exact dimentions too well).
maybe this update with pictures might give you some idea  :mellow:

work has begun, started with the painting of the concrete.
lines will be added to simulate PAG-14 concrete plates.

the inside of the shelter has been primed last night.

front of the shelter exteriour and the rear of the interiour are also painted.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

I just cut a surplus door in half.  No exact dimensions were needed.

This looks like it'll be great.  Keep us posted.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

construction of the hangar has begun:

inside has been paved (drawn off) with PAG-14 concrete plates, here's a test alpha jet for size comparison.

also, construction has begun on the main building, still needs painting and detailing.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Coo, is that little Alpha Jet 1/144 scale? It looks very good indeed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

ok, another update :)

last night, the construction of the control tower building was mostly completed.
the window construction is not yet fitted as thats still in the painting/drying process.

the hangar is about 90% complete, i still need to close up a few holes though.
i also noted that the paint was slightly chipped on the top, so iwill need to touch that up.

this morning, the colors were added, with the glueing of the grass matts.
as you can see in the picture bellow, the scenery is starting to take shape. i also started drilling holes to plant the trees.
cars and personel will be added as soon as the main constructionwork is done.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2