IAC Boeing 737 ASW Patrol Aircraft

Started by nighthunter, September 25, 2017, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

So, since I gave up on trying to do a passenger liner, I figured I'd finish my 737-400 properly, by making it an Irish Air Corps Maritime patrol plane.

In 2004 Aer Lingus started retiring their 737 fleet in favor of the Airbus A320 (blech). The Irish Air Corps, saw an opportunity and seized it. They purchased two of the youngest airframes from Aer Lingus and had Boeing refit them with similar technology installed on the Boeing P-8 Maritime Patrol craft. The MP737E aircraft are armed with Penguin AGMs and Sting Ray light-weight torpedos. The Boeing refit of each aircraft extended the service life of each aircraft to 2025, before either retirement or further extending the service life.

Parts are all over the place, lol, either at my dad's or here. I also need to find some Penguins in 1/144 scale for cheap, lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

nighthunter

Well, got the fuselage from my dad's place, told him what I was doing with it and he thinks I'm weird, lol! These Minicraft kits are interesting to say the least.

McColm

loupgarou

Quote from: nighthunter on September 25, 2017, 01:10:14 PM
So, since I gave up on trying to do a passenger liner, I figured I'd finish my 737-400 properly, by making it an Irish Air Corps Maritime patrol plane.

In 2004 Aer Lingus started retiring their 737 fleet in favor of the Airbus A320 (blech). The Irish Air Corps, saw an opportunity and seized it. They purchased two of the youngest airframes from Aer Lingus and had Boeing refit them with similar technology installed on the Boeing P-8 Maritime Patrol craft. The MP737E aircraft are armed with Penguin AGMs and Sting Ray light-weight torpedos. The Boeing refit of each aircraft extended the service life of each aircraft to 2025, before either retirement or further extending the service life.

Parts are all over the place, lol, either at my dad's or here. I also need to find some Penguins in 1/144 scale for cheap, lol!

Of course, an irish B737 without penguins would not make sense. :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

nighthunter

I was referring of course to the Penguin ASM, lol, not those pesky boys in the movies.

loupgarou

Quote from: nighthunter on September 26, 2017, 07:36:45 AM
I was referring of course to the Penguin ASM, lol, not those pesky boys in the movies.

Never heard of those, too modern for me.  :rolleyes: ;D
But REAL penguins would be a nice touch.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

JayBee

If you want 1/144 scale Penguins try the model railway people for N gauge ones. It is not exactly 1/144 but at that size who will notice.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

Penguins.....the possibilities are endless!!  Chocolate covered biscuits, flightless birds, missiles, cheap paperback books or even "Tactical Nuclear Penguins"    https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/the-worlds-strongest-beer-tactical-nuclear-penguin   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

nighthunter

Lol! This is why I love you guys!

Jim, I know a lot of those guys, locally, my dad being one of them, lol. Yes, the official scale is 1/160, but unofficially it ranges from 1/144-1/170.

1/144 scale weapons sets are rare, and for me, hard to find.

PR19_Kit

The scale of N Gauge differs depending on the country you're in. In the USA and Europe it's 1/160, in Japan it's 1/150 and in the UK it can be 1/148 or 1/152 depending if you work in 'Standard' N Gauge or 'Fine Scale' N Gauge.

Being plain bloody minded I model 1/160 N Gauge American railroads here in the UK.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

So, parts are on their way in, mainly weapons.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter