Models For Heroes

Started by Weaver, September 17, 2017, 04:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Just stumbled across this outfit on Twitter:

http://www.modelsforheroes.co.uk/

@modelsforheroes

Looks like they're doing what one of our number did as a one-off a few years ago: gathering donated models to help ex-servicemen with therapy.

Does anyone know if they're legit or if there are any concerns about them? I'd like to make a donation but I know some of these charities are not all they're cracked up to be. DM me if you don't want to go public.

Also, apologies if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere. I did do a search but I couldn't find anything. If there is a pre-existing thread, then please feel free to merge them Mods.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Pretty sure that was Martin who ran one a few years ago.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Yup it was what Martin ran a few years ago  :thumbsup:

They are in a few of the magazines with both adverts and reports so I think they are legit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dadlamassu

Just searched the Charity Register for England & Wales using name and number - neither gives any hits,  So not a registered charity.

You can try it yourself http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/ShowCharity/RegisterOfCharities/AdvancedSearch.aspx

Nor is it on the Veterans Gateway which has a database of many veterans charities

It is on Companies House:
MODELS FOR HEROES
10855739 - Incorporated on 7 July 2017
1 Harrier Road, Newbury, Hampshire, England, RG20 4AB

Martin H

The guy who is setting this up contacted me a few months ago asking if I minded him taking up where operation magpie left off. Those who know me well enough will have a good idea what my reply was  :thumbsup:
Magpie was a one off. As far as I'm concerned.

He seemed genuine to me. And I hope it takes off.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lenny100

i have also been in contact with him, and can report he is doing what he says he will do and has already run sevral days at hedly court and other cenyetrs around the south east and has made two delivery's to hollybush house the original recepiant of operation magpie, although he is still in the early days with getting the charity s numbers etc, it a real minefield to get it all set up
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

The pics of their donations all look very new and polished. Any that I donated would look a tad weather beaten by comparison.  ;D

Great idea though, I'll take a look in The Loft, but I won't send them any Mach 2 kits, they wouldn't help anyone mental condition one bit!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Cheers folks.  :thumbsup:

I think Operation Magpie was just before I started on here. The event I'm remembering is Deathjester's effort from 2013: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37231.0.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Had a good chat with these guys at Telford and they seem legit to me. Result? Big box of kits on it's way to them yesterday (after my usual procrastination/laziness).

- Indiana Jones

Nick

They also take Airfix Club vouchers (the Flying Hours). So I'll probably send them the few I have.