Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)

Started by strobez, August 25, 2017, 05:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Hi all. While doing my Miyazaki-themed scratchbuild, I just couldn't resist the urge to break this kit out and give it a shot.  I'd been saving it until I thought I could do it justice, and I'm feeling like that time has come... famous last words I bet!  :-[

Anyway I've heard a lot of good things about the hand/glove fit of this kit... and I have to admit, actually just having to follow the detailed instructions OOB is a nice change of pace.  :-\

Alright... so here's the box...

...and here's what's in the box...

...and, shockingly, I'm starting with the cockpit.

One nice little blast of Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow and we're off to the races!

I decided to try and stick to the paint callouts as closely as possible - going so far as to check the 1/48 instructions to see if they were more detailed. The one main difference is that the 1/72 calls for X-7 Red for the main fuselage, while the 1/48 specifies the Italian Red spray can (TS8?). I went for the gusto and got the spray can since I'm also planning to build the Macchi M.52r som too.  I've never really used cans before, so I'm a bit nervous, but hey... wouldn't want to have it too easy, right?
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Tophe

Quote from: strobez on August 25, 2017, 05:31:19 PM
actually just having to follow the detailed instructions OOB is a nice change of pace.  :-\
I prefer inventions, but do as you prefer, of course, enjoy!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Looking forward to this. Fine Moulds are some of the best fitting kits I've ever built  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 26, 2017, 02:01:27 AM
Looking forward to this. Fine Moulds are some of the best fitting kits I've ever built  :thumbsup:

Ah, yes, but what about Fine Molds kits? :unsure:

;D  W - W H O O - O O - O O - O O S H !
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Both 1/72 kits build really well.
I have a thread here.
The decals are a little translucent however.  I painted the major markings on both aircraft.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Yeah, I've seen your build of these models, Fred... brilliant.  They gave me a bit of confidence to tackle one of the gems from my "once I'm good enough" stash.  I've heard that the Fine Molds kits are a dream to fit together.  So for some reason, I'm now cocky enough to believe I am... I'm just waiting to quickly and inevitably be proved wrong.  :)

The most likely agent of karmic fate is probably the rattle can...

Y'see, I decided to try and stick to the paint callouts as closely as possible - going so far as to check the 1/48 instructions to see if they were more detailed. The one main difference is that the 1/72 calls for X-7 Red for the main fuselage, while the 1/48 specifies the Italian Red spray can (TS8?). I went for the gusto and got the spray can since I'm also planning to build the Macchi M.52r soon too and figured they'd both make use of it.  I've never really used rattle cans before (well, other than primer), so I'm a bit nervous, but hey... wouldn't want to have it too easy, right?

A scale modelling master on a different forum suggested the option to decant the spray can contents, thin them with lacquer thinner and then run them through the airbrush...  That sounds intriguing.

Anyway I bought the Curtiss R3C-0 as well today... l just in case.  In case of what though, I'm not really sure... it's mostly just a safety in numbers sort of thing...  :lol:

Of course, If it REALLY goes to hell, I'll just say I always wanted to build the Savioa S.21F instead... and that one will go in my "when I'm good enough" stash...  ;)
Thanks!

Greg

jcf

The Tamiya rattle-cans are outstanding, they're not like spraying with regular hardware
store cans.

BTW I have the Aerotech M.39 in the stash. :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 26, 2017, 10:20:31 AM
The Tamiya rattle-cans are outstanding, they're not like spraying with regular hardware
store cans.

Agreed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 26, 2017, 04:16:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 26, 2017, 02:01:27 AM

Ah, yes, but what about Fine Molds kits? :unsure:

;D  W - W H O O - O O - O O - O O S H !

Yea, yea, yea. I was taught to spell English the English way and it just came out that way automatically  ;D Me and my old English master, Bert Royal, had some interesting discussions regarding spelling ;)

VickersVandal

Love this kit. I just had to look at the parts and they went together. I bought the Curtiss recently, which I will build to go alongside it....eventually....

This should look stunning when it's finished. It's a kit that makes light work of getting a good end result.
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

NARSES2

strobez

Thanks! Since this build has been accepted into the seaplane GB, I thought it best to move it here.  I briefly started the kit, but am now waiting for the GB to begin before doing any more work.
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

Over a month to go yet, your fingers will be itching to get at it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Looking good so far, Does look like a nice little kit !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?