Vought Corsair Ramjet

Started by TomZ, August 13, 2017, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

In 1943 the US Navy was looking for ways to boost the performance of their fighter aircraft. Although the new jet engines showed a lot of promise, they were still suffering from a lot of teething problems.
Also the high fuel consumption of the jet engines of the day made them unsuitable for carrier use.

At the same time in Britain the V-1 attacks were mounting and from a number of crashed V-1s the British reconstituted a number of pulse jet engines sending some of them to the USA for testing.
As a result of these tests the US government ordered a production run of 240 copies of the Argus engines from Pratt & Whitney. They received the designation J014-01

The Vought company received a number of the pre-production engines and designed a pulse jet powered version of the F4U Corsair. To save time a minimal redesign was done to the original design.
This fighter had four J014 pulse jet engines mounted on the wings. Because there was no longer an engine in the nose, a solid nose was installed with 8 machine guns.

These together with the six wing mounted guns provided an enormous fire power.
Because the pulse engines required an airflow to develop thrust the aircraft were launched using a jet rocket pack which was jettisoned after take-off.

The first 12 Pulse Corsairs were designated F4U-9 and were delivered to the Navy in the beginning of 1945 and were tested on the carrier USS Hornet. They flew a number of patrols over Okinawa but never had any actual combat.

http://airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-F4UR.htm

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

I bet the pilots were pensioned off early as they'd all gone deaf!  ;D

Cracking model there Tom.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Intriguing. Make a great rapid response point interceptor  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Wild!! I love it... great work!
-Sprues McDuck-

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

darthspud2

whole new spin on Lend Lease i guess
VERY NICE IDEA
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!