Type 320 Nubian Courier

Started by jalles, July 13, 2017, 12:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

So after digging through the spares boxes I've decided to build a Nubian ship akin to the Naboo Cruiser/Diplomatic Barge seen in Star Wars Episode II.  I have some 1/72 KC-135 wings and rockets from a Pegasus Apollo 27 rocket for the engines.  I contemplated using part of a 1/72 SU-34 for the cockpit section but it seemed too identifiable.  Therefor I'm hoping to 3D print and vacu-form the center portion.  This ship will be smaller and lighter than the Naboo Cruiser, two engines instead of four.  I'm thinking maybe sold for surplus and picked up by a smuggler.

strobez

Ok... now THIS I want to see! Sounds awesome.
Thanks!

Greg

kerick

Ditto for me!
I did a little search and I didn't realize there were so many Naboo designs.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jalles

Quote from: strobez on July 13, 2017, 04:34:00 PM
Ok... now THIS I want to see!

So do I! hopefully I can get this done in time  ;)

Quote from: kerick on July 13, 2017, 06:17:23 PM
I did a little search and I didn't realize there were so many Naboo designs.

It does seem like Naboo designs get forgotten, I like their elegant, flowing design.  Although they might not look "Star Wars" enough for some.

I'm done with the 3D files for the center section.

ChernayaAkula

3D printing AND vac-forming? Sounds quite involved. Please do take lots of in-progress shots.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kerick

The Naboo designs are great contrast to the usual ST designs.
Might be a good idea to scratch up something.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jalles

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 15, 2017, 09:54:26 AM
Please do take lots of in-progress shots.

I'll try my best.  I'm still waiting on the 3D printed fuselage (or whatever the center section of a flying wing is called).

Here is a rough idea of what I'm thinking of.  I'll lengthen the engines to just past the leading edge of the wing.

sykotik

that is a beautiful looking design. I'll enjoy watching this one  :thumbsup:
Si

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Steel Penguin

that does look stylish, and very much in the nabooian (?) style  wile being very much a different ship to anything we've seen. 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

That does look pretty darn sharp, even though I haven't a clue what a Naboo is............  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2017, 01:58:43 AM
That does look pretty darn sharp, even though I haven't a clue what a Naboo is............  :thumbsup:

It's a Star Wars thing, Kit.........but at least whatever it is appears to have reasonably long wings!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on July 16, 2017, 09:34:23 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2017, 01:58:43 AM

It's a Star Wars thing, Kit.........but at least whatever it is appears to have reasonably long wings!

Precisely!  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

I finally received the first of the 3D printed parts.

In the photo above the top has been sanded to get rid of the serrations/terracing.

A better view of the bottom texture straight from the 3D printer.  This needs to be smooth for vacu-forming.

Close up of the top after some sanding.  This will also be coated with a special epoxy paint made for smoothing 3D prints.  Since this will be vacu-formed in clear, it needs to be close to mirror smooth.

Mating with the wings, the fit looks good.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..