Cornwall Newquay RAF St Mawgan

Started by Crackingjob, July 09, 2017, 01:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackingjob

Best spot to see what's in and out of the Newquay / RAF St Mawgan site in Cornwall is actually over at the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre http://www.cornwallaviationhc.co.uk/
I found. Whilst looking at the classic jet fighters etc ( which you can actually climb in!!!!! Great Top Gun photo opportunity) you can sit with a coffee from the Excellant cafe and watch the world take off or land.....a look on thier Facebook page shows some of the aircraft they have seen

McColm

Back in June 1986, I was one of three inductees that got a flight on a Nimrod out of RAF St Mawgan. The rest of the Inductees got the tour of the Fire Department. RAF Kinloss is the mirror image of RAF St Mawgan.
I'd like to go back some day.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on July 13, 2017, 04:42:57 PM

RAF Kinloss is the mirror image of RAF St Mawgan.

Only insofar as it was one of the two main Nimrod stations at the time. The runway, peri-track and hardstandings are totally different.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2017, 09:02:53 PM
Quote from: McColm on July 13, 2017, 04:42:57 PM

RAF Kinloss is the mirror image of RAF St Mawgan.

Only insofar as it was one of the two main Nimrod stations at the time. The runway, peri-track and hardstandings are totally different.

Another big difference is the height of the runway above sea level. Kinloss is almost at sea level and St Mawgan is at a considerable high above sea level.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

I was told that the building layout was a copy of RAF Kinloss.

PR19_Kit

They were having you on.

Both pics nicked from Google Earth.

St Mawgan, RAF hangars etc are south of the main runway.

Kinloss, and the hangars etc are way to the south of the peri-track.

I used to 'fly' into both of them in my Flight Simulation days and there's very little similar, apart from the fact that they are obviously RAF Stations and the Nimrods.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Oh well I can't ask my source as he was one of the Navigators on board a Shackleton that flew into a mountain. There were no survivors.

Gondor

It's unlikely that any building layout for any RAF will be the same. The land the station is built on will usually dictate where some buildings go, and I don't just mean topography, the boundaries of the station, water courses and sewerage requirements as well as vehicle access to the site are all factors too. It is possible that a small group of buildings may be similar in orientation to each other but the only thing that may be the same is the layout of individual buildings such as accommodation which was fairly standard depending on when the accommodation was built.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

I think the only area where you'll find identical airfields is around Alberta. There were loads of them built for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) around here, some just a couple of miles away from another. I've been finding them everywhere while on my travels. 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike