Messerschmitt Bf-109 canopy

Started by DogfighterZen, July 08, 2017, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

My fellow plastic addicts, can anyone enlighten me on how to paint the Bf-109F4's canopy framing? I've been going through pics on google and so far i've become even more confused... the middle of the canopy (the bit that opens) has a line in the middle which seems like it's a window that slides back on the left side and on some pics i've seen, it looks as if that bit wasn't painted, but on others it looks like it's painted...
This is the bit...

Here there's no sign of paint there but on other pics i've seen, it looks like it's painted...  :unsure:

Your thoughts and suggestions are needed and very welcome.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

Looking online, shots of up to the F version seem to have just the glass, whereas those from the G on have the heavier framing.

I'd just make a slight score with a scalpel blade to replicate the overlap of the glass panels and call it done.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 08, 2017, 10:32:10 PM
Looking online, shots of up to the F version seem to have just the glass, whereas those from the G on have the heavier framing.

I'd just make a slight score with a scalpel blade to replicate the overlap of the glass panels and call it done.

Guess you're right, i suspect that some of the pics identified as from the F are probably from the G. On the Italeri 1/72 kit of the F, the canopy has very fine lines representing that and, although it's a good idea, i guess i don't even need to score the plastic like you suggested.

I guess i should be too fussy about it cause the canopy and interior are not so good, this was one of my first models back in 2014, i thought that CA glue was good for everything, just like when i was 8 years old, so i've taken it off and it off and cleaned it as best i could, but it will obviously be far from perfect.. :rolleyes:.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, Rick! :bow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

No worries - I'm far from an expert, but I think I've picked up a few clues over the years.  <_<

It seems that the Fs and early Gs were smooth-cowled, and from about the G-6 variant there were the side bulges overlapping the rear of the cowling.
So some of the smooth-cowled ones you've found could indeed be Gs.

I think you're right about the existing lines, they're quite sufficient.

Have you seen the Falcon or Squadron canopies?
(Yeah, I know I keep mentioning them whenever someone bemoans the kit units, but they're made by a friend and I'm trying to help him out.  ;))

DogfighterZen

Yup, i've got a few in the to-buy list, for the older kits in my stash. I've also bought a few of Rob Taurus' canopies, although i haven't used any so far...  :rolleyes:
And thanks for reminding me of Tore's products, i'm going through the site right now, lots of interesting stuff but i'm afraid i'll have to wait a few months before i start buying model related items again as i've been in a tight financial situation in the last few months... :banghead:

Rick Lowe

Yea, I know what that's like - and it always seems to happen when there's plenty of 2nd hand kits available, or some cool new releases, or the exchange rate is very favourable... argh.