Colour schemes for the Monterey

Started by PR19_Kit, June 29, 2017, 01:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one of the three schemes do you prefer?

Scheme 1
14 (58.3%)
Scheme 2
3 (12.5%)
Scheme 3
7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

PR19_Kit

I've done three schemes for my Monterey, based on the Shackleton's schemes of course, and I'd welcome your ideas about which looks best to you guys.

As the RAF didn't have any flying boats at the time, from 1960 onwards, there's no real world scheme to base it on.

I have my own fave of course, but I don't want to influence anyone.  ;D Mind you, at the present build rate it could be ages before I get as far as painting it!

Scheme 1 : Just a white fuselage top

Scheme 2 : White wing panels as well

Scheme 3 : White fuselage top, wings and hull undersides
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Hi Kit,
What colour(s) have you chosen for the underside of the wings?
When I painted my Martin Marina twin turbofan powered amphibious flying boat I choose a dark grey and the underside of the hull & the underside of the wings mat white.
I'll use gloss black all over on the Mystic.

PR19_Kit

The same colour as the upper grey shade, Dark Sea Grey, as used on the Shacks.

Maybe with large underwing serials in the squadron colours, whatever they turn out to be.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

I voted 1.  Bit too much demarcation on the wings of the others- but everything looks good in EDSG, right?     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sandiego89

The US Navy schemes on the Marlin, P2V and early P-3's with white top and gray undersides were also quite attractive
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

USN colors would be appropriate - IIRC, RN Neptunes or the AEW Skyraiders were all-over Dark Sea Blue? Not the most exotic option for the SeaMaster, though.  :-\

My personal favorite would be the Dark Sea Grey variant with a whiote fuselage top.

Another option: Dark Slate Grey/Medium Sea Grey with Dark Sea Grey undersides, like some of the Vulcans during the Falklands engagement?

...and another very attractive scheme, IMHO: SAAF style, as used on the Buccaneers and late Venturas, with Dark Sea Grey upper sides and PRU Blue undersides, low or medium waterline, potentially toned-down markings?

Finally, an unrelated find on a RN Wasp - not certain if it's a winter scheme? But would certainly look sexy on larger scale, too?

PR19_Kit

I'm trying to keep away from USN schemes, the backstory, which none of you have read yet of course, has the Monterey being a specific UK MR version, with Conway engines and two extra crew members. I intended to have a very 'Coastal Command' look to it, thus the connection with the Shackletons, which were in service in the same time frame.

I'm pretty sure that the Shackletons were just Dark Sea Grey and not Extra Dark Sea Grey, ESDG looks almost black sometimes and wouldn't work too well in the Indian Ocean area.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I voted 3 because I own shares in your masking tape and blood pressure pill suppliers.

<_<
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

I prefer 1, but I'm happy to see it in any of these schemes as it's a very imaginative build.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 30, 2017, 04:23:44 AM
I voted 3 because I own shares in your masking tape and blood pressure pill suppliers.

<_<

Hehehe, indeed so.

The BP was 153 over 75 this morning, but I had just had a very irritating phone call about a railway matter.  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Zero-Sen

I voted 2 because I love the white wing panels (even if I am a bit concerned about your blood pressure too).

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 30, 2017, 06:07:00 AM

<_<

Hehehe, indeed so.

The BP was 153 over 75 this morning, but I had just had a very irritating phone call about a railway matter.  :banghead: :banghead:

As a nurse of my acquaintance says "if you don't have a blood pressure you are dead".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Well I'm impressed with all 3, but voted I simply because to my eye it's "cleaner". Perhaps with a red flash on the wing tip floats ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 30, 2017, 07:10:34 AM

Well I'm impressed with all 3, but voted I simply because to my eye it's "cleaner". Perhaps with a red flash on the wing tip floats ?

Hmm, yes, even more Shackleton like............  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit