Boeing MRF-24X

Started by jalles, June 26, 2017, 10:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

I don't know much about this proposal from Boeing, Secret Projects has a little information but not a lot.  I think it's a cool little plane and I'd like to build one in 1/72.  My brother-in-law has an inexpensive 3D printer so I'm going to create some CAD files and have him print it out for me.  I'm then going to clean up the 3D prints and use them as a mold for making vacu-form pieces.

Here is is the plane in question:

So I have a quick question if anyone wants to use a little math.  How big is the MRF-24X?  The schematic has no measurements, although it does have some know references such as the pilot, the AIM-9Xs and GBU-32s.  The only reason I ask is the measurements I deduce seem to make the plane too small.

Rick Lowe

Going by the size of the seat, it's not a large aircraft at all - smaller than a -16, maybe about Gnat size?

Mossie

It looks like a JDAM in the picture and the tables mention the GBU-32.  Assuing it is the GBU-32, that would make the weapons bay about the same size as the F-35.

Taking the dimensions of the GBU-32 as 3.03m, I've worked out the dimensions as 13.45m in length x 8.55m span.  The real dimensions might a few percent plus or minus.
1/72: 187mm length x 119mm span
1/48: 280mm lenght x 178mm span

It works out slightly smaller than the F-16 and F-35, which are both around 15m long.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jalles

Hey Mossie,

Your estimations were slightly larger than mine, I came up with 178mm in 1/72.  When I used the pilot as a reference I got an even smaller size.  Regardless, considering it has to store weapons internally, I was surprised it would be smaller than an F-16 when the F-16 is pretty small to begin with.

Thanks for the sanity check!

Here are some CAD screen captures for the 3D print.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jalles on June 28, 2017, 02:34:00 AM

....... when the F-16 is pretty small to begin with.

Define 'small'.  ;D ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Looks like the XF-32 without the tail fins.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2017, 09:55:42 AM

It works out slightly smaller than the F-16 and F-35, which are both around 15m long.

I don't know Simon, they 'might' be about the same length, but physical size, the F-35 is much bigger. That MRF is more the size of a Harrier.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: jalles on June 28, 2017, 02:34:00 AM
Hey Mossie,

Your estimations were slightly larger than mine, I came up with 178mm in 1/72.  When I used the pilot as a reference I got an even smaller size.  Regardless, considering it has to store weapons internally, I was surprised it would be smaller than an F-16 when the F-16 is pretty small to begin with.

Thanks for the sanity check!

No probs, sanity is overated!  ;D  Seems we're both in the same ballpark, it can be surprisingly difficult to GA drawings, even when you've got physical dimensions.

One possibility is that it's a "minimum fighter", with the bare-bones of equipment to do the task.  It seems to put everything in as small a package as possible.  Another is that's a lightweight fighter in the same concept of the Gnat, as Rick hinted at.

CAD models coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 28, 2017, 10:42:05 AM
I don't know Simon, they 'might' be about the same length, but physical size, the F-35 is much bigger. That MRF is more the size of a Harrier.

Yeah, I was purely talking basic dimensions.  Nice comparison pair Robert, shows the difference in bulk nicely.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Snowtrooper

As a friend of stealth prototypes, I'll be following this with great interest :wub:

sandiego89

Agree you can definitely see that the oh so ugly X-32/F-32 inherited some of the shape of this, especially in the forward and mid fuselage.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

pedrospe

Pretty cool,i like that alot,this is one of my favorite concepts,i hope to see it finished soon,good work.

best regards

Pedro

jalles

Quote from: pedrospe on July 02, 2017, 07:20:31 AM
Pretty cool,i like that alot,this is one of my favorite concepts,i hope to see it finished soon,good work.

Unfortunately it probably won't be finished soon, but it will get finished eventually.  By the way, I've found your work pretty inspirational, didn't you do an MRF-24 based concept?  I came across a picture of it while trying to find reference images for this project.

pedrospe

Hi Jalles,sorry it took awhile to reply to your post,but since photobucket prevented me from acessing my images posted there,i been having a bit of trouble to post them on forums like whatifmodellers,and i had to choose another hosting site,so it is taking me some time to upload them,so here are one of the images related to my MRF-24X model;

and a drawing made using Rodrigo Avella multirole fighter