Hellenic Gloster Glaive: a Gladiator with an inline engine & other twists

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 17, 2017, 04:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The Gloster Glaive started quite simply with the idea of replacing the Gladiator's radial with an inline engine, a Peregrine. But this soon did not appear enough for an update – the Peregrine hardly delivered much more power than the former Mercury, so I considered some structural updates, too. Most of them comprised the replacement of former fabric-covered structures, and this led conceptually to a kitbash with only some Gladiator fuselage and tail parts left.

The basis is (once more) the very nice Matchbox Gloster Gladiator, but it was heavily modified. As an initial step, fuselage, fin and stabilizers (all OOB parts) lost their rib-and-fabric structure, simply sanded away. A minor detail, but it changes the overall look of the aircraft a lot, making it appear much more modern.

The fuselage was left without the OOB radial, and instead a leftover Merlin front end from an Airfix Hurricane (ca. 1cm long, left over from one of my first whif builds ever, a Hurricane with a radial engine!) was added. The lines match pretty well: the side profile looks sleek, if not elegant, but the Gladiator fuselage turned out to be wider than expected. Some major body work/PSR was necessary to integrate the new nose, but the result looks very good.

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "D 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "D 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The liquid-cooled engine necessitated a radiator somewhere on the airframe...! Since I wanted the nose to remain slim and streamlined I eventually placed the radiator bath under the fuselage, much like the arrangement of the Hawker Fury biplane. The radiator itself comes from a late Spitfire (FROG kit).
The exhaust was taken from the Hurricane kit, too, and matching slits dug into the putty nose to take them. The three blade propeller is a mash-up, too: the spinner belongs, IIRC, to an early Spitfire (left over from an AZ Models kit) while the blades came from a damaged Matchbox Brewster Buffalo.

The Gladiator's fuselage flank machine guns were kept and their "bullet channels" extrapolated along the new cowling, running under the new exhaust pipes. Another pair of machine guns were placed on top of the engine – for these, openings were carved into the upper hull and small fairings (similar to the Browning guns in the flanks) added. This arrangement appeared plausible to me, since the Gladiator's oil cooler was not necessary anymore and the new lower wings (see below) were not big enough anymore to take the Gladiator's underwing guns. Four MGs in the fuselage appears massive – but there were other types with such an arrangement, e.g. the Avia B-534 with four guns in the flanks and an inline engine.

The wings are complete replacements: the upper wing comes from a Heller Curtiss SBC4, while the lower wings as well as the spats (on shortened OOB Gladiator struts) come from an ICM Polikarpov I-153. All struts were scratched. Once the lower wings were in place and the relative position of the upper wing clear, the outer struts were carved from 1mm styrene sheet, using the I-153 design as benchmark. These were glued to the lower wing first, and, once totally dry after 24h, the upper wing was simply glued onto the top and the wing position adjusted. This was left to dry another 24h, and as a final step the four struts above the cowling (using the OOB struts, but as single parts and trimmed for proper fit) were placed. This way, a stable connection is guaranteed – and the result is surprisingly sturdy.

Rigging was done with heated sprue material – my personal favorite for this delicate task, and executed before painting the kit started so that the glue could cure and bond well.

More soon...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RAFF-35

Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Yes, very similar (and very pretty!). I faintly rember that build, looks very good and plausible for a Gladiator evolution.

But also expectable! ;) I wanted to take things further and added a completely new wing arrangement, hence it's not a Gladiator anymore, but another consequential step from the Gloster pedigree. And it will be a pure export aircraft - the RAF had already settled on monoplanes, so this one will carry (spurious) Hellenic colors, as a sister ship to a real world Gladiator I built many moons ago.

PR19_Kit

That's looking REALLY good Thomas, the re-engining really suits it, and the spats are a master stroke.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Drat! It would look better in Irish Air Corps colors, Thomas.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

The Irish Air Corps did not buy it. They had the Gladiator, and later put their bet on the monoplane (Hurricane).  ;)

Dizzyfugu

More news from the Glaive: painting!

The reason why this aircraft ended in Greek service is a color photograph of a crashed Hellenic Bloch M.B. 152 (coded 'D 177', to be specific). I guess that the picture was post-colored, though, because the aircraft of French origin sports rather weird colors: the picture shows a two-tone scheme in a deep, rather reddish chestnut brown and a light green that almost looks like teal. Unique, to say the least... Underside colors couldn't be identified with certainty in the picture, but appeared like a pale but not too light blue grey.

Anyway, I assume that these colors are pure fiction and exaggerated Photoshop work, since the few M.B. 152s delivered to Greece carried AFAIK standard French camouflage (in French Khaki, Chestnut Brown and Blue-Grey on the upper surfaces, and a very light blue-grey from below). I'd assume that the contrast between the grey and green tones was not very obvious in the original photograph, so that the artist, not familiar with WWII paint schemes, replaced both colors with the strange teal tone and massively overmodulated the brown.

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "D 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As weird as it looked, I liked this design and used it as an inspirational benchmark for my Hellenic Glaive build. After all, it's a fictional aircraft... Upper basic colors are Humbrol 31 (RAF Slate Grey) and 160 (German Camouflage Red Brown), while the undersides became French Dark Blue Grey (ModelMaster Authentics 2105). The result looks rather odd...
Representing a combat-worn aircraft, I applied a thorough black ink wash and did heavier panel shading and dry-brushing on the leading edges, along with some visible touches of aluminum.

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "D 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Hellenic roundels come from a TL Modellbau aftermarket sheet. The tactical code was puzzled together from single letters, and the Greek "D" was created from single decal strips. For better contrast I used white decals – most Hellenic aircraft of the time had black codes, but the contrast is much better, and I found evidence that some machines actually carried white codes. The small fin flash is another free interpretation. Not every Hellenic aircraft carried these markings, and instead of painting the whole rudder in Greek colors I just applied a small fin flash. This was created with white and blue decal strips, closely matching the roundels' colors.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Finally, after some soot stains around the guns and the exhausts, the kit was sealed with matt acrylic varnish.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

stevehed

jcf

Noice.  :thumbsup:

If you'd had a Hawker Fury biplane nose it would look like it could be a companion to the
Gloster TSR 38.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

So, here we are: Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "Δ 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 in 1:72, together with its (real world) Gloster Gladiator sister ship "Δ 187":

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "Δ 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "Δ 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Gloster Glaive was basically a modernized and re-engined variant of the successful, British-built Gloster Gladiator (or Gloster SS.37), the RAF's final biplane fighter to enter service. The Gladiator was not only widely used by the RAF at the dawn of WWII and in almost every theatre of operations, but also by many other nations. Operators included Norway, Belgium, Sweden, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania or Nationalist China, and while the RAF already opted for more modern monoplanes, Gloster saw the opportunity to sell an updated Gladiator to countries which were not as progressive.

Originally designated Gladiator Mk. IV, the machine received many aerodynamic refinements and the motor was changed from a draggy radial to a liquid-cooled inline engine. The latter was the new Rolls Royce Peregrine, a development of the Kestrel. It was, in its original form, a 21-litre (1,300 cu in) liquid-cooled V-12 aero engine ), delivering 885-horsepower (660 kW). The engine was housed under a streamlined cowling, driving a three blade metal propeller, and was coupled with a ventral radiator bath, reminiscent of the Hawker Fury biplane's arrangement.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Structural improvements included an all-metal monocoque fuselage and stabilizers, as well as new wings and streamlined struts with reduced bracing. The upper wing was enlarged and of all-metal construction, too, while the lower wings were reduced in span and area, almost resulting in a sesquiplane layout. The total wing area was only marginally reduced, though.
The fixed landing gear was retained, but the main wheels were now covered with spats. The pilot still sat in a fully enclosed cockpit, the armament consisted of four machine guns, similar to the Gladiator. But for the Glaive, all Browning machine guns were synchronized and mounted in the fuselage: one pair was placed on top of the cowling, in front of the cockpit. Another pair, much like the Gladiator's arrangement was placed in the fuselage flanks, below the exhaust outlets.

Compared with the Gladiator, the design changes were so fundamental that Gloster eventually decided to allocate a separate designation – also with a view to the type's foreign marketing, since a new aircraft appeared more attractive than another mark of a pre-war design. For the type's virgin flight in late 1938 the name "Glaive" was unveiled to the public, and several smaller European air forces immediately showed interest, including Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Portugal and Egypt.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Greece was one of the initial customers, and the first of a total of 24 aircraft for the Hellenic Air Force was delivered in early 1939, with 24 more on order (which were never delivered, though). The initial batch arrived just in time, since tension had been building between Greece and Italy since 7 April 1939, when Italian troops occupied Albania. On 28 October 1940, Italy issued an ultimatum to Greece, which was promptly rejected. A few hours later, Italian troops launched an invasion of Greece, initiating the Greco-Italian War.

The Hellenic Gloster Glaives were split among three Mirae Dioxeos (Fighter Squadrons): the 21st at Trikala, 22nd at Thessaloniki and 23rd at Larissa. When Italy attacked in October 1940, the British fighter was, together with the PZL 24, the Greeks' only modern type in adequate numbers. However, by late 1940, the Gloster Glaive was already no longer a front-runner despite a powerful powerplant and satisfactory armament. It had no speed advantage over the Fiat Cr.42 nor could it outfly the nimble Italian biplane, and it was much slower than the Macchi MC.200 and the Fiat G.50 it was pitted against. Its agility was the only real advantage against the Italian fighters, whose reliance on the slow firing Breda-SAFAT 12.7mm machine guns proved detrimental.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Anyway, on 5 April 1941, German forces invaded Greece and quickly established air superiority. As the Allied troops retreated, British and Hellenic forces covered them, before flying to Crete during the last week of April. There, the refugee aircraft recorded a few claims over twin-engine aircraft before being evacuated to Egypt during the Battle of Crete.

Overall, the Glaives performed gallantly during the early period of the conflict, holding their own against impossible numerical odds and despite the fact that their main target were enemy bombers which forced them to fight at a disadvantage against enemy fighters. Italian claims of easy superiority over the Albanian front were vastly over-rated and their kill claims even exceeded the total number of operational fighters on the Greek side. Total Greek fighter losses in combat came to 24 a/c with the Greek fighter pilots claiming 64 confirmed kills and 24 probables (about two third bombers).

By April 1941, however, lack of spares and attrition had forced the Hellenic Air Force to merge the surviving seven Glaives with five leftover PZL.24s into one understrength squadron supported by five Gloster Gladiators Mk I & II and the two surviving MB.151s. These fought hopelessly against the Luftwaffe onslaught, and most aircraft were eventually lost on the ground. None of the Hellenic Gloster Glaives survived the conflict.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

General characteristics:
    Crew: two
    Length: 8.92m (29 ft 3 in)
    Wingspan: 34 ft 0 in (10.36 m)
    Height: 11 ft 9 in (3.58 m)
    Wing area: 317 ft² (29.4 m²)
    Empty weight: 1,295 kg (2,855 lb)
    Max takeoff weight: 1,700 kg (3,748 lb)

Powerplant:
    1× Rolls Royce Peregrine II liquid-cooled V12 inline engine, rated at 940 hp (700 kw)

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 405 km/h (252 mph; 219 kn) at 4,400 m (14,436 ft)
    Cruise speed: 345 km/h (214 mph; 186 kn)
    Stall speed: 60 mph (52 knots, 96 km/h)
    Range: 373 mi (600 km; 324 nmi)
    Endurance: 2 hours
    Service ceiling: 10,600 m (34,800 ft)
    Rate of climb: 2,982 ft/min (15.15 m/s)
    Time to altitude: 10.000 ft (3.050 m) in 3 minutes 20 seconds

Armament:
    4× 0.303 calibre (7.7 mm) M1919 Browning machine guns in the fuselage
    Provisions for 6× 10 kg (22 lb) or 4x 20 kg (44 lb) bombs under the lower wings

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "Δ 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Gloster Glaive Mk. I, "Δ 183" of the Hellenic Air Force's 22 Mira Dioxeos, Ioannina (Epirus region), March 1941 (Whif/Kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Modified beyond recognition, perhaps...? The fictional Gloster Glaive looks IMHO good and very modern, just like one of those final biplane designs that were about to be outrun by monoplanes at the brink of WWII.  ;D