IPMS -- Pros and Cons. Worth becoming a member?

Started by TheChronicOne, June 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I'm thinking about "upping my game" and contributing a bit more to the hobby in general by joining IPMS USA (and then a what if SIG).

Price isn't so bad, and Im looking forward to the publications. Getting to events will most likely not be possible, however. I'm in Lawton, OK, and the nearest meet ups are in the OKC metro (250 mile round trip). So, I could either join the SW region (with the two branches in OKC) or the region 13 that exists on the internet only... not sure which way to go.

But, I'm just wondering..   what do the member here think? Is it worth it?
-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

I belong to the local chapter, IPMS-Seattle (well over 100 members, large by IPMS-USA standards),
but not the national organization as I'm not interested in the Journal etc. Luckily we have a very
welcoming chapter that accepts all modellers regardless of ability or prefered subject matter, and we
have some truly world-class modellers who love to share their experiences and skills to help anyone
who wants to learn. None of that 'it's a secret' nonsense.

Like any 'club' your experience will be based on what you want you take into it, but be aware that
some do have a higher proportion of numpties than others.

Good luck

The Wooksta!

You don't necessarily have to be in IPMS to join the What If SIG - at least the UK one anyway.  Many UK SIG leaders will turn a blind eye to membership (or the lack thereof) of the parent body.  I joined the UK What If SIG in 1994 but wasn't an IPMS member until a year later.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Thanks, fellers! 

I wish I could find a local club. SW Oklahoma (and Oklahoma in general, to an extent) is a black hole of culture.  A couple of things I'm in to are Star Trek and model building and GOOD LUCK finding ANY type of fellowship of either outside of the metro area (OKC).  One either has to spend hundreds of dollars and tons of hours driving from place to place or they get to sit and spin. There's NOTHING here. (Unless I'm mistaken) I'd like to get to researching all this again today maybe but I'm certain there's nothing within 100 miles of here. The one option I always seem to forget is Whichita Falls, TX, which is half the distance to OKC but still a good trip off and not even in the same state....    :-\

Good ol' Oklahoma, perpetually living a couple decades (or more) in the past!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

If you're into Star Trek modelling, you may want to try here - http://www.starshipmodeler.com/ - as a source for finding like-minded locals (I haven't visited for a while but they're a welcoming bunch, several of whom are regulars here).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 06, 2017, 08:24:01 AM
If you're into Star Trek modelling, you may want to try here - http://www.starshipmodeler.com/ - as a source for finding like-minded locals (I haven't visited for a while but they're a welcoming bunch, several of whom are regulars here).

Oh nice!! I'll definitely check that out!  And yuuuup, I'm definitely into Trek modeling.   :laugh: :laugh:   I have a 1/2500 TOS Enterprise on the shelf of doom at this very moment. I actually managed a bit of work on it before the one week GB got under way.  :thumbsup:  (maybe I'll be motivated to finish it now that I said something about it  ;D  )
-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AMGetting to events will most likely not be possible, however. I'm in Lawton, OK, and the nearest meet ups are in the OKC metro (250 mile round trip).

Is there a model shop nearer than that? Might be worth asking them if there are many enthusiasts in your neighborhood, perhaps even a local club already.
Cheers.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: steelpillow on June 07, 2017, 01:55:54 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AMGetting to events will most likely not be possible, however. I'm in Lawton, OK, and the nearest meet ups are in the OKC metro (250 mile round trip).

Is there a model shop nearer than that? Might be worth asking them if there are many enthusiasts in your neighborhood, perhaps even a local club already.
None here in Lawton... as for anything closer than, say, 50 miles, I have no clue but doubtful. Right AT 50 miles, however, is Wichita Falls,TX, which is a bit bigger than Lawton (which is pretty big itself for this region) so it would be my best bet.  I ought to do some web searching and see what I can find.. thanks for the tip!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Steel Penguin

from my point, the membership gives me 2 days at the IPMS scale model show,  and some free magazines, that are occasionally interesting, the discounts are nice, as I use a couple of the stores semi regularly ( ian allens, Birmingham store is around £6 and 1 hour by foot, bus and tram).
If your a long way from anywhere it may be a little more of a value decision for you,  but the 5-10 % discounts may make it worth wile if you spend more than the value ( ie $200 +)  a year.
is it worth trying for a year, and seeing if you think its worth continuing?
that may be the simplest answer.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

KiwiZac

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 06, 2017, 08:24:01 AM
Their Facebook group is booming - in fact I've had to stop getting their updates because the membership's so active!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

jcf

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 07, 2017, 01:09:04 PM
from my point, the membership gives me 2 days at the IPMS scale model show,  and some free magazines, that are occasionally interesting, the discounts are nice, as I use a couple of the stores semi regularly ( ian allens, Birmingham store is around £6 and 1 hour by foot, bus and tram).
If your a long way from anywhere it may be a little more of a value decision for you,  but the 5-10 % discounts may make it worth wile if you spend more than the value ( ie $200 +)  a year.
is it worth trying for a year, and seeing if you think its worth continuing?
that may be the simplest answer.

Shop discounts are hit-and-miss in the US and depend completely on the shop owner, there
is no national level arrangement.

TheChronicOne

How about online retailers? Any of those in the U.S. that allow the IPMS discount? 

I think going ahead and doing a year and see how I like it sounds good. Honestly, I truly do want to support this hobby and even if I don't benefit a whole lot at least I'm doing SOMETHING. I think it would be neat, too, to say, "Hey, I belong to something."  And who knows... Dallas/Ft. Worth is a three hour drive here so maybe in the future I can make that trip because I imagine a convention will be there at some point. Maybe even OKC.

At this stage, $30 won't break me either way so why not?   <_<

Thanks, everyone!!! 
-Sprues McDuck-

Supertom

The membership doesn't really matter unless you intend to go to the national convention. If there isn't a club within 100 miles of you, you could always start your own club if there are enough people. The club's leadership get free membership to IPMS as long as you're on the board.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

TheChronicOne

Now THERE'S an idea I hadn't considered... starting my OWN club!  I'm almost positive there is nothing in this entire area.  That said, isn't the "non affiliated"  "on online only" chapter of IPMS(USA) geared toward people like me?  I was kind of considering that. Well, I'm considering both, now. It would neat to meet model building people from around here and get togtether and share our stuff and work on builds a couple hours or something. I know SOMEONE is buying the kits at Hobby Lobby.  ;D

Thanks for the advice.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

You could always hang around there, see who buys them and follow them home...

That wouldn't be weird.

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..