DHC Chipmunk T100 - JASDF. Finished pics page 2

Started by zenrat, May 28, 2017, 04:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Two days lost to real life and a model show but I'm hopeful i'll make them up tomorrow.

So what is this?

Basically What If the Japanese Air Self Defence Force bought a tricycle undercarriaged Chipmunk instead of the Beechcraft T-34 Mentor?
I'll be building the Airfix Chipmunk with relocated main undercarriage and a P39 nosewheel bunged on under a nose filled with lead.
Rattle can car paint silver NMF finish with orange panels will be the scheme i'm aiming for and hopefully this year i'll check I actually have a can of clear in my hand BEFORE I press the button and coat the underside with white primer.

I'm off to beddy byes now but i'll make a start tomorrow when I get home from work.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

A P-39 nosewheel? Won't that have a Chippie pointing upwards at about 45 degrees?  :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Captain Canada

Sounds good. We don't see a lot of the lovely little Chipmunk around here !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

loupgarou

Chipmunk is lovely indeed. I wonder how it will accept a nosewheel. <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on May 28, 2017, 11:54:32 AM
Chipmunk is lovely indeed. I wonder how it will accept a nosewheel. <_<

It had no choice.   :wacko:

Start (1130 today)

After getting home from work and doing some PSR on the bedroom ceiling I took myself to the shed and endeavoured to make up for the lost two days.
By lunchtime I had the fuselage halves together, the main UC legs reversed and moved rearwards, control panels scratchbuilt, the seats in place, cocktail sticks up the crew and the nose weighted (fishing weights rather than Heavy Glue this time).

After a gourmet lunch of ham and cheese sangers, salt & vinegar chips, a muesli bar and a banana washed down with a mug of tea I returned to the shed and by 1700 had the interior painted, the wings and tails on, the (shortened) P39 nosegear dry fitted and the crew primed in black with a white highlight from above.

Despite the age of the moulds fit on this is pretty good if you remove all the locating pins and test fit & adjust as you go.  A touch of filler will still be required though.  Mainly on the underside at the front and rear of the wing centre section.
That's tomorrows first task.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Tuesday.  Home from work and straight down to start PSR by P'ing in the gaps.  While it dries I will be performing more 1:1 PSR on the bedroom ceiling.
Fred

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

Anti glare and walkway black and silver dope fabric surfaces done.  Also painted the crew, tyres and canopy framing.

Gloss clear coat tomorrow.

Fred

Captain Canada

Nice ! Really coming along now love the colours  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

strobez

I just built one of these Chipmunks not long ago for my Tintin project, so I can truly appreciate the work that's gone into this. It's looking great and I love the colour scheme!  :mellow:
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Thanks folks.  Lots of rivetty goodness there.   ;D
Fred

zenrat

Fred

strobez

Whooo... that IS shiny... and orange! I like orange!
Thanks!

Greg