The Science Fiction GB - The Rules

Started by NARSES2, May 26, 2017, 06:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right you have a month to go before it all kicks off, but here are the suggested rules for your perusal, discussion and any necessary amendment.

Many thanks to Brian and Mark for Moderating.

1.  Group Build runs from 00.01 Saturday 1st July 2017 to 24:00 Sunday 1st October 2017.

2.  You can enter any kit/figure/story in this GB which relates to the subject of Science Fiction which, for the purpose of this G.B. is considered to be - Fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, or anything involving the use of the word extraterrestrial,  occurring either in the past or the future.

If you're not sure whether your build is eligible or not, please ask the moderators before starting work.

3.  You may build as many entries as you like (good luck!).  The posting of in-progress pictures is encouraged as always.  Back stories - however long or short - win extra points.  Well OK they don't but they're always nice to see.

4.  "Preparation" work is allowed prior to the start of the GB - this includes the cutting out and cleaning up of parts, even printing your own decals (!), but anything involving paint or glue is not allowed.

5.  Part-started models will be considered by the moderators. You should explain what you have done or post pics (even better) and they will convene and pass judgment, their decision being final - we are relying on the honour of our membership to uphold this rule.

6. No rule 6 - is there ever a rule 6 ?

7. Moderators – CrudeButEffective and Rickshaw.

8. An object, even if anachronistic, can be deemed to be science fiction if it is utilised in a science fiction purposes/manner/role.  An example is that of Thunderbird 6, a Tiger Moth biplane used by International Rescue to save people in the 21st century, according to the Thunderbirds' storyline.

[Red sections added 29 May'17 by Rickshaw]
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I imagine there will be an interesting debate about rules for this one, since sci-fi is already a WHIF.  Does it need to be a WHIF?  My enthusiasm for this GB has not hit me yet, but in keeping with the format of this site, I do hope we keep it WHIF.   

So I guess:

- A starship Enterprise out of the box would NOT be a WHIF
- A starship Enterprise in Romulan service/markings would be a WHIF
- A starship Enterprise with different engines would be a WHIF....

And yes I realize space is not the only genre.  I also propose that the word "future" be deleted from rule 2.  A steampunk, a 1950's "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea" submarine, A Frankenstein monster, etc. were all "past" sci-fi, but I think they should be eligible. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Spey_Phantom

i have a pair of Angel Interceptors that would fit this GB perfectly  :mellow:

however, i have a question.
Thunderbird 6 is a Tiger Moth, does that count as SciFi?
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

rickshaw

Sandie and Nils, you both make good points, I will check with my co-moderators and get back to you with our decision on the issues you have raised.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 26, 2017, 05:42:29 PM
I imagine there will be an interesting debate about rules for this one, since sci-fi is already a WHIF.

Very much so Sandie. In all honesty I struggle with a definition for Sci Fi ?  :o Which is not great as I'm a Moderator  ;) ;D

I wonder if our own definition is slanted some what by what what was on radio/tv/cinema when we were younger ? I know mine is to some extent. One of the reasons I got these rules up a month early so we could thrash them out and get comfortable with them before we start.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 27, 2017, 02:12:55 AM
...In all honesty I struggle with a definition for Sci Fi ?  :o Which is not great as I'm a Moderator  ;) ;D

It's hard isn't it.  I know what I think it is but I can't put it in words.  Sometimes it just depends on context.
A box stock Bf 109 would be Sci Fi if painted red and placed over the Western Front in 1916.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

I personally wouldn't try,  sc-fi tends to defy definition.  At the same time, we all generally get what it is.  So I'd leave it to a general definition of if someone says it's Sci-Fi, it is -unless it's really obvious it's not, then it isn't.

Should we think of other things though, such as wether to include fantasy, futuristics and real space projects?

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
A box stock Bf 109 would be Sci Fi if painted red and placed over the Western Front in 1916.

I'd disagree, sci-fi is science-fiction.  There's nothing science about that.  Something like that is just alternative history.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 27, 2017, 04:25:28 PM

I'd disagree, sci-fi is science-fiction.  There's nothing science about that.  Something like that is just alternative history.

But time-travel is a staple of sci-fi. What about those Harry Turtledove (?) novels where neo-Nazis go back and drop a few thousand M-16s on the Confederacy?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 27, 2017, 02:43:20 PM
if someone says it's Sci-Fi, it is -unless it's really obvious it's not, then it isn't.

I think we'd better see if the Lord Chief Justice can spare a couple of months to help moderate  ;D

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on May 27, 2017, 06:18:10 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on May 27, 2017, 04:25:28 PM

But time-travel is a staple of sci-fi. What about those Harry Turtledove (?) novels where neo-Nazis go back and drop a few thousand M-16s on the Confederacy?

My point exactly.

I have fond memories of building Airfix 54mm mounted figures as a youth and if I can find one at a price I want to pay I fancy whiffing it for this GB.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Also, it's hard to draw a line between sci-fi and fantasy. Just about any 'swords and sorcery' background can be described as science-fiction by invoking time-travel and/or parallel universes and/or far-future social/technological regression. Furthermore, there have been sci-fi backgrounds by sci-fi writers that freely mixed the two.

There used to be a tabletop RPG around (can't remember it's name, I'm afraid) that introduced magic and mythical beasts into a dystopian cyberpunk near-future by having the technology open portals to parallel universes where such things exist.

Michael Moorcock's Hawkmoon books are set in a world that feels like sword-and-sorcery in it's societies, trappings and attitudes, but it's actually set in the far future and the 'magic' is legacy technology from an earlier age, semi-understood by 'magicians' who are really what you might call 'technological historians'. A 'fire lance' in Hawkmoon's Kamarg would be instantly recognisable as a 'laser rifle' in Starship Troopers.

Moorcock's Dancers At The End Of Time books are set even further into the remote future, in a world where technology has become so powerful and universal that the decadent and seriously bored humans who are left use it like magic, without understanding it or caring where it comes from, to constantly re-shape their world and themselves for whimsical amusement, only the arrival of a Victorian time traveller throwing their lack of values and purpose into uncomfortable relief.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 28, 2017, 03:38:32 AM

I have fond memories of building Airfix 54mm mounted figures as a youth and if I can find one at a price I want to pay I fancy whiffing it for this GB.

Built a fair few of them back in the day. Introduced me to "serious" figure painting. Graduated on to a few 54mm white metal figures but was really a wargammer who liked to paint.

That was the beauty of Airfix. They enabled people on a budget (kids) to experiment with hobbies which until then would have been beyond their wallets (figure painting)

kerick

I have a Star Wars kit I could build OOB or do I need to whiff it up somehow?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on May 28, 2017, 08:07:33 AM

I have a Star Wars kit I could build OOB or do I need to whiff it up somehow?

Paint it in a British Airways scheme and you'll be OK.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit