Maggie Bomber -Now Finished

Started by NARSES2, May 03, 2017, 06:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Thought I'd better get some pics up of what I've been blathering on about over in my Blog.

So here's the RS Maggie Bomber

Box and contents

Cockpit waiting to be waited with the fuselage

All together awaiting primer

She's now in the   getting her uppers done
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

The bomb is so small the guy in the back seat should just carry it  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Caveman

Love the Maggie! More maggies:)
secretprojects forum migrant

KiwiZac

I'm with Caveman! A very cool little project.

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 03, 2017, 10:33:58 AM
The bomb is so small the guy in the back seat should just carry it  :thumbsup:
Visions of that film footage of a WW1 observer throwing a tiny bomb over the side!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

She's looking good Chris.
:thumbsup:
If it was mine i'd be tempted to fair over the front cockpit and add a pair of guns to make a Maggiefighter.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 04, 2017, 03:56:40 AM
She's looking good Chris.
:thumbsup:
If it was mine i'd be tempted to fair over the front cockpit and add a pair of guns to make a Maggiefighter.

I'm still not sure whether to cover the front cockpit with a "canvas" cover or not. I stripped the front cockpit as I think they'd have needed to remove all unnecessary weight in order to carry what I'll be arming her with.

Shes now had her second camouflage colour added.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Definitely use the cover. More speed that way  ;D
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

dadlamassu

Like the Tiger Moth (and other aircraft) several trainers were fitted with bomb racks as part of Operation Banquet.  This was an anti-invasion measure to put every aircraft that could attack the invaders would do so. 

Since many aircraft types and various individuals carried our modifications to their aircraft then go ahead and make a Maggie Fighter/Bomber.  Maybe given the intended role the front cockpit may house a couple of machine guns firing forwards and downwards to strafe the "Hun on the Beach".

NARSES2

Quote from: dadlamassu on May 04, 2017, 11:01:30 PM
Like the Tiger Moth (and other aircraft) several trainers were fitted with bomb racks as part of Operation Banquet.  This was an anti-invasion measure to put every aircraft that could attack the invaders would do so. 

Very much so and they may well have had an old Lewis gun jury rigged to be fired by an "observer" in either the front or rear cockpits. I don't think they'd have had the time to sort out any interrupter gear for some forward firing m.g.'s ?

This is intended for use however in a series of carefully planned attacks where the powers that be spent a couple of months testing everything and getting it ready just in case. This was a genuine Invasion Scare plan where I've simply adapted a different aircraft from those that were actually adapted. More to come when she's finished.

NARSES2

Masking tape off and touch ups sorted (see my Blog).

Transfers up next  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Transfers, what there are, on. Need to find a gas detection patch in the spares box

NARSES2

Started assembling the Maggie's small armament load today. The etch bomb racks were  :o Also cut some tiny pieces of tubing to fit the undercarriage legs into and hopefully give the legs a better chance of holding the airframe up. They will simply look as though they've a tiny collar attached to the top of them.

Got her varnished and thought "nearly there" and then ........ :banghead:

One of the upper wing roundels had slipped. The RS transfers are very nice and usable but remain "movable" for a fair while. I must have rested the model at an angle whilst they were drying and it slipped a bit. No idea why I didn't notice before ? Anyway my fault, so no complaints, but I do need to re-paint that wing, re-transfer and varnish it.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 10, 2017, 06:16:34 AM

One of the upper wing roundels had slipped. The RS transfers are very nice and usable but remain "movable" for a fair while. I must have rested the model at an angle whilst they were drying and it slipped a bit. No idea why I didn't notice before ? Anyway my fault, so no complaints, but I do need to re-paint that wing, re-transfer and varnish it.

Had to do both wings. Had plenty of B type roundels of the correct size but did any of them match the RS supplied ones in colour ? None of them  :banghead: They weren't much different but it was noticeable. Still done now.

NARSES2

Wings revarnished and the weapons fit is sorted and painted.

On finals now for this one but I have to fit the undercarriage and whilst simple I'm concerned as to whether it will hold the weight even with the two collars I've fitted.? Oh well there's always the spatted option  :angel:

NARSES2

Undercarriage fitted and so far holding it's own  :thumbsup:

On finals now, hopefully finish this week.