F-82I Ayit

Started by dwomby, April 28, 2017, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

We all thought the first modified/reverse-engineered aircraft in the Israeli Air Force's inventory was the Mirage/Nesher/Kfir but not so.   In the 1950s, Israel created the F-82I Ayit.

After the Korean War, Israel acquired 15 surplus USAF F-82G nightfighters. The F-82s served Israel well through the Fifties but accidental damage to one two days after delivery in 1953 prompted an interesting experiment.  Israel had been trying to buy a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft with little success but an engineering analysis suggested the damaged aircraft could be used to create a prototype of their own.   

The Israeli engineers used the undamaged port fuselage and wing from the crashed F-82G and a spare starboard wing but added a section to increase the wing span.   The result looked similar to the P-51H but was much larger.  To get the required performance, they managed to acquire and fit a RR Griffon engine in an extended nose.  A vertical and an oblique camera were fitted in the rear fuselage.

Early flight tests of the prototype showed poor pitch characteristics, so enlarged tailplanes were added to improve control.   The F-82I Ayit was born and 2 more were built by dismantling another of the F-82Gs. By the mid 1950s, it was clear that Israel would be moving quickly into an all-jet combat force and no further examples were built but the 3 F-82I Ayits provided high altitude photo-reconnaissance until 1960.  This one is the second built just after delivery in 1955.

I think I prefer it without the drop tanks so they are just a press-fit at the moment.

and just to compare to a normal P-51D (the original Airfix mould!!!)

It's a Monogram/Revell F-82 with resin Merlin engine attached 2 scale feet further forward than it should be and a Griffon Spitfire prop from the old Hawk F22 kit.  The wing root extensions were made by halving the center wing of the G-82 and the tailplanes were done the same way with the single F-82 tailplane.

I hope you like it as much I enjoyed building it.

David

NARSES2

That looks really good. Nice one  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Sleek, I like that!
Looks like the USAF's alternative to the A-1!?
With that size, a turboprop engine from a C-130 would have been an option, too?

Old Wombat

Neat concept & build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Outstanding!  :thumbsup:

You're talking my kind of language here.  ;D

Quote from: dwomby on April 28, 2017, 06:10:01 AM

.........but added a section to increase the wing span.   

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 28, 2017, 07:19:29 AM
With that size, a turboprop engine from a C-130 would have been an option, too?

Ah, that would be the Ayit II.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

What a neat looking machine ! Looks pretty 'normal' from the side but the top view it's completely different ! Thanks for the comparison pic she's huge !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Yeah! now I like that, clever use of the F-82 center wing section  :thumbsup:  Been thinking about something similar, but extending the wing tips and using a Firefly engine cowling. It would involve shortening the rear fuselage a bit though.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rick Lowe

That works well - the F-82 gets a bit of Bv-155 inspiration...  :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Great idea and execution!  Drop tanks look fine to me!  :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

Looks very good, love the camo! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

That'll keep people guessing.

Good job.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

darthspud2

I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

darthspud2

:thumbsup:
great job there, very nice build
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!