Spitfires - the latest batch

Started by The Wooksta!, April 23, 2017, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Monday was Club night, so I finished off a few more Spits and here's the results.

First, a Fleet Air Arm Spitfire Vb.  Simple switcheroo with the markings - basically, the Navy used Spitfires for landbased operations with the Wildcats/martlets being kept for carrier use.  Base: Hobbyboss Vb with parts from the Revell Vb and the prop from the Airfix Vb.  Not happy with the canopy on this one (I left it till last and had to cobble it together from a variety of bits and I think it shows.  The screen in particular I couldn't find one that would fit and stole it from a Heller 16) and I don't think it's one of my better Spits.

Next, a pair of Spitfire mk XVIe's of 607 Sqn RAuxAF.  The highback is the Airfix mk IXc modified with the 3d mk IX upgrade set, comprising prop, round exhausts and wing gun blisters.  3 spoke wheels from the Airfix PR19. The lowback is the Heller kit, but with a set of Quickboost mk IX round exhausts and 3 spoke wheels from the Sword mk XIV.

Finally, a Spitfire F22 with one of the Civillian Anti Aircraft Co-operation Units (CAACU) in the 1950s.  They did fly F21s, but not the F22 as far as I'm aware. It was actually finished a while back, but I decided to take it to the Club on monday to make the numbers up.Base kit Airfix F22 

Photos: Rob Sullivan
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Like the XVIe's in particular mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

They're not too crash hot close up.  I'm particularly unhappy about the Sky band - the decal doesn't really fit and I can never get it quite straight enough.  Plus there's a dirty great gap underneath the intake on the lowback. Spotted it waaaay too late to do anything about it - ie when I was fitting the wheels!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

DogfighterZen

Subtle but very cool, love the lowbacks! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

dwomby

Excellent.  I especially like post-WW2 Spitfires and Seafires.

David

Old Wombat

Look damned good to me! :thumbsup:

The 607Sqn birds remind me of my Navy days. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Wow , I especially like the F22.  I am a sucker for the 5 bladed prop, and silver is so hard to do (for me anyway)  Well Done! 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Must admit I to have a "thing" for 5 bladed props  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

Actually, I like the first Spit the most. FAA aircraft are not that often seen in Mediterranean schemes, even less in one without a camo pattern.

Though, natural metal with bright markings has a charm of its own.

The Wooksta!

It's based on a scheme worn by an FAA Martlet (aka Wildcat).  I'll probably do it again with a better Vb at some later date, possibly a Tamiya one and I think I've a part started one somewhere I was going to use for that.

As I said, I'm not happy with it.  TBH, I've yet to do an aircraft in a desert scheme that I *AM* happy with!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: