T-34 XL Self propelled gun

Started by chrisonord, April 17, 2017, 05:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Thought I would try and get this done before the deadline as it is a reasonably simple build. This is one of the armourfast T-34's, cut down the length and widened 8 mm. A new scratch build turret and a 122 mm soviet heavy gun added to the mix. I have done quite a bit over Easter as the initial build I have done before with an old Matchbox T-34.
The story for this is as follows....
Due to the  Nicaraguan Cartel and their not wanting to retire anything the guys in the workshops got a bit busy with several long in the tooth T-34's. One being made in to a more modern and slightly bigger main battle tank with a T-55 turret, others made in to AAA platforms and another made in to a self propelled gun. Using parts from the junk yard, and some DIY turret making, The T-34 XL SPG was born. The hull was cut in half and widened much like the MBT version but not quite as wide, a 122 mm Russian heavy gun was fitted in to an ISU-153 mantlet that was from a knocked out vehicle, and this in to a purpose built new turret. The powerplant was replaced with a modern diesel engine, and the engine bay rebuilt do the engine can be slid out through the rear for easier quicker service and repair. The vehicle as a whole is quite basic but as and when the equipment becomes available it will be upgraded with more modern targeting systems.
This is what I have done so far, sorry about the pictures, as I can't find what I did with my camera so I used my phone.

Cheers,
chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Looks good so far ! I love the small scale armour.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

That looks huge... But I hope that the engine receives some air intakes (again)?

chrisonord

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 18, 2017, 01:32:44 AM
That looks huge... But I hope that the engine receives some air intakes (again)?
I have been digging out a suitable sized radiator grille to put on the rear plate, the new engine is a smaller much more compact turbo diesel engine, of U.S origin, so there is more room for the cooling system in the engine bay now.
Chris.

chrisonord

Nearly finished the build, just got a few more details to stick on it and she is ready for some paint.

There should have been more pics but as per good old photo bucket has misplaced them.
Chris.

RAFF-35

That's just colossal!!  :o my deepest sympathies to the suspension  ;D great build so far, can't wait for the finished product  :thumbsup:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

NARSES2

Quote from: RAFF-35 on April 18, 2017, 12:19:17 PM
That's just colossal!!  :o my deepest sympathies to the suspension  ;D great build so far

Absolutely  :thumbsup: Wasn't there a French SPG with a similarly "oversized" gun/turret combination on an undernourished chassis ?

Thinking about it I don't think the design that's in my brain had a totally enclosed turret in order to cope with the recoil. Looking at yours the recoil could get interesting unless that's it's maximum elevation   ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I can see there being problems with the engine too. Possibility of overheating and an engine change could be interesting. Practical problems aside it does look good  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2017, 06:18:03 AM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on April 18, 2017, 12:19:17 PM
That's just colossal!!  :o my deepest sympathies to the suspension  ;D great build so far

Absolutely  :thumbsup: Wasn't there a French SPG with a similarly "oversized" gun/turret combination on an undernourished chassis ?

Thinking about it I don't think the design that's in my brain had a totally enclosed turret in order to cope with the recoil. Looking at yours the recoil could get interesting unless that's it's maximum elevation   ;)

AUF1?
http://data3.primeportal.net/artillery/jean_thomas_rembert/auf_1/images/auf_1_1_of_7.jpg
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

chrisonord

Being whiff-world, the T-34 is very far from being its former self, tracks suspension,engine, turret and gun have all been upgraded to the highest whiff standards. Chris, yes the gun is at its highest elevation, makes for easier display and storage on my shelves, plus that is how the mantlet is on the turret.
The reason I made the turret so long is to cope with the gun, which, by today's standards isn't that big of a gun thinking about it. I have got the big girl in base coat to show any putty marks up, and I am liking it in the colour I have done it, it really suits olive drab, so it may stay in the one colour yet.
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on April 19, 2017, 10:59:40 AM

AUF1?
http://data3.primeportal.net/artillery/jean_thomas_rembert/auf_1/images/auf_1_1_of_7.jpg

That's one of them thanks  :thumbsup: But I've a thought in my brain about a 50's creation ?

Quote from: chrisonord on April 19, 2017, 03:21:06 PM
Chris, yes the gun is at its highest elevation, makes for easier display and storage on my shelves, plus that is how the mantlet is on the turret.
The reason I made the turret so long is to cope with the gun,
Chris

Thought it probably was and that elevation is fine  :thumbsup: Turret looks ok as well, the gun needs in my view.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I'm impressed (these days) by people who can build 1/76 or 1/72 armour, especially those who whif it. Bravo! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

This is nearly done now, and whilst the paint was drying, I started making an anti aircraft version of the T-34, using 2 37 mm cannon shoved in a turret from a different T-34 kit. The hull has been saved from the cut and shut treatment, and is bog standard, this is also nearly built due to the quick build parts of the kit.
Chris. 

NARSES2

AA T-34 sounds interesting. Now thinking of one with 4 x 20mm or 0.5" mg's, maybe with the turret roof "removed" ?

Need to get myself some more Armourfast kits next time they are at a show.

chrisonord

I have put 2 37 mm cannon in a spare turret I had from another build, reason being there is a bit more detail on this turret than on the armourfast one. The tank could also be used as infantry support with those guns on too.
Chris.